Anyone good with maths (trigonometry) here?

Started by viper37, June 08, 2017, 04:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: frunk on June 08, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
The green lines are the measurements, they aren't part of the shape.

Actually, now that I think about it, that can get me the length of side x- the difference between 3.66 and the length of the shorter side of the smaller triangle with that leg would be the length of side x, which is 2.5162m. I really don't see a way to extract side y's dimension from this diagram, though.
Experience bij!

DGuller

There is simply not enough information here.  You have to know the bottom left angle, otherwise there is too much freedom here.  There is no information here that constrains what y can be, it can be anything.  Once you know the bottom left angle, then you can figure out the length of all the pieces.

HisMajestyBOB

If you gave me multiple triangles, I could tell you if there's a statistically significant difference in the lengths of their sides.  :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2017, 09:46:00 PM
There is simply not enough information here.  You have to know the bottom left angle, otherwise there is too much freedom here.  There is no information here that constrains what y can be, it can be anything.  Once you know the bottom left angle, then you can figure out the length of all the pieces.
Never mind, the 20m is the lenth to the hypotenuse, not to y meeting point, so you can calculate the angle.  But there is still one piece of measurement missing to calculate y, you need one more measurement to fix its location.

Monoriu

I am not good at math, or trigonometry.  The way I did it at school was to draw a to-scale model of the triangle and measure the length. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2017, 09:55:13 PM
Never mind, the 20m is the lenth to the hypotenuse, not to y meeting point, so you can calculate the angle.  But there is still one piece of measurement missing to calculate y, you need one more measurement to fix its location.

Exactly. That's how I got side x, but without a measurement to the right of it, y isn't differentiable.
Experience bij!

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2017, 09:55:13 PM

QuoteThe distance between Y and the end of the shape is approx, 1,520m

DGuller

Assuming that is horizontal distance, y = 1.52 / tan(79).

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 08, 2017, 08:47:26 PM
He is saying he was told the bottom left angle is 45, but, as I have told him, it doesn't work with the rest of the measurements, assuming the top left angle is indeed 90.
top is 90 degrees, that's about the only thing I'm sure of.  And the total lenght of the alley, wich is different from the total lenght of the wall.

Thinking of it, the bottom left won't be 45 degrees, that inclination is too steep.

As I said usually, for these kind of project, I'm given an elevation view and I know at least two lengths (the 3,66m) and the y and the total length of the wall. Now I have to guess some of the measurements.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 08, 2017, 09:32:00 PM
There's no way the info you've given us adds up.

Given the two legs of the right triangle, the tangent tells me the non-square angle of the 3.66m line is 79.6296 degrees, not 45.

Furthest I can get with the dimensions given is that the distance of the hypotenuse from the 3.66m side to where it meets line X is 6.3538m. Since the two lines run parallel, there doesn't seem to be any way to figure out how far up or down the legs the 6.25m measure line is.
Here is what I have.

Contrary to the second drawing, there won't be a wall to the end, that's just not very practical to do below 300mm (12"), I'll stop short of the end, so the wall will never be 1 or 2 cm.  But approximation is what I need for now.  Once the client and the engineers have settled on the final design, they'll give me their measurement.  But I need to submit a price first.

The walls for EE and FF are the ones I'm trying to determine the height at the end.  I know EE starts at 12' (3,66m).  I know there is a slope in the floor of 1:8, I just noticed it.  I know at the very end of 20m I am at 0, but my wall will not extend up to there.  And since there's two different type of walls, it's a little trickier than usual to measure my steel rebars lenght.

I think I'm ok now that I see the slope.  Benefits of rested eyes.  :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 08, 2017, 09:55:35 PM
I am not good at math, or trigonometry.  The way I did it at school was to draw a to-scale model of the triangle and measure the length. 
that's what my colleague just told me :P
But I want the formula for Excel, so my bidding software is future proof.

DGuller

I can see this thread being printed out during the discovery process of some malpractice civil suit in the future.  :(

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2017, 09:05:13 AM
I can see this thread being printed out during the discovery process of some malpractice civil suit in the future.  :(
-How do you plead?
-Not guilty. Languish did it.