Anyone good with maths (trigonometry) here?

Started by viper37, June 08, 2017, 04:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 08:42:17 AM
that's what my colleague just told me :P
But I want the formula for Excel, so my bidding software is future proof.

It's not just one formula- it depends which pieces of the triangle you have. For right triangles, you can reconstruct all the angles and sides from either one side and an angle or two sides. For non-right triangles, you need at least one side and all three angles (technically, two, but if you have two angles, you've got all three since they add up to 180), so you can determine where to split it into two right triangles.
Experience bij!

The Brain

High school math is cool. One of my favorite questions that I remember from a test was about a cone inscribed in a sphere. The height of the cone is increased. At which height does the height and radius of the cone increase at the same rate?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 09, 2017, 04:44:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 08:42:17 AM
that's what my colleague just told me :P
But I want the formula for Excel, so my bidding software is future proof.

It's not just one formula- it depends which pieces of the triangle you have. For right triangles, you can reconstruct all the angles and sides from either one side and an angle or two sides.
Yes, I was trying to fit a right angle triangle somewhere, to first deduce the missing side, then try my luck with the other part.

QuoteFor non-right triangles, you need at least one side and all three angles (technically, two, but if you have two angles, you've got all three since they add up to 180), so you can determine where to split it into two right triangles.
yeah, that's what I was missing.  Anyway, I got my measurements thanks to funk and my colleague.  Close enough for now.  Before I hit the site I'll ask for a more detailed view.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2017, 04:51:33 PM
High school math is cool. One of my favorite questions that I remember from a test was about a cone inscribed in a sphere. The height of the cone is increased. At which height does the height and radius of the cone increase at the same rate?
that's not something we do in high school.  I remember such questions, but they were in the calculus class in college (1st year after high school, so "grade 12" if you don't count kindergarden).

All we deed in high school, in advanced math, was to draw figures.  Find the equation, draw the curve, get noted on how well you drew the curve or the shape.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 05:08:51 PM
that's not something we do in high school.  I remember such questions, but they were in the calculus class in college (1st year after high school, so "grade 12" if you don't count kindergarden).

All we deed in high school, in advanced math, was to draw figures.  Find the equation, draw the curve, get noted on how well you drew the curve or the shape.

Ouch. With finger paint?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2017, 05:11:42 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2017, 05:08:51 PM

Ouch. With finger paint?

close ;)

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2017, 04:25:06 PM

I'm looking to find X and Y.

Angles on the 20m side are 90deg.  The angle between 3,66m and the base is 45deg.

The distance between Y and the end of the shape is approx, 1,520m so let's use this value to determine the real length of this top side: 12,23m.

How do I find X and Y's height?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Pedrito

Quote from: 11B4V on June 09, 2017, 08:16:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2017, 04:25:06 PM

I'm looking to find X and Y.

Angles on the 20m side are 90deg.  The angle between 3,66m and the base is 45deg.

The distance between Y and the end of the shape is approx, 1,520m so let's use this value to determine the real length of this top side: 12,23m.

How do I find X and Y's height?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!