News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jon Ossoff vs. Karen Handel, the deathmatch

Started by alfred russel, June 05, 2017, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I have the misfortune of being a registered voter in the district for this election. I've been getting many phone calls asking for my opinions or to campaign. I no longer keep informed regarding key local trends such as which car dealership has the lowest prices (answer seems to be: all of them) because all the advertising time is being sold to these two jokers.

My personal point of view is that this race doesn't matter at all, but it is getting absurd amounts of funding because both political machines realize it is a great way to raise money/get paid.

So who should I vote for? Keep in mind that this is a theoretical question, because I'm not going to vote.

So far I've compiled a comprehensive list of reasons to vote for each candidate:

Karen Handel: Jon Ossoff is 30. That is younger than me. To be represented by a 30 year old would make me insecure about what I'm accomplishing in my life.

Jon Ossoff: A friend / coworker for the last 7 years has a husband involved in politics that used to work for Karen Handel. Should Handel go to congress, she might hire my friend's husband, and they would then relocate to DC.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Well one is named Jon. Jon, and its variants, is a great name and should be trusted with political power.

I can think of no historical figures who would contradict this unbiased opinion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2017, 12:49:05 PM
I can think of no historical figures who would contradict this unbiased opinion.
Jon Lackland?  Jon of Arc?  Jon Snow?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

John Wilkes Booth?  John Hinkley? These are the people you believe should be entrusted with power?  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2017, 01:13:33 PM

Jon of Arc? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Is Handel the incumbent? I seem to recall that name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2017, 01:57:24 PM

Away with your sexual and gender essentialism!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 05, 2017, 01:58:18 PM
Is Handel the incumbent? I seem to recall that name.

No. This is Newt Gingrich's old seat. The person holding it got appointed to something by Trump, so we need a special election. And for a special election, you need "special" candidates (I think that was in the rules). It has been republican forever, hence if the democrats can win it will prove people no longer like Trump. Making this the most important race ever, or something.

Handel is a former Georgia secretary of state who once ran for governor and lost in the primaries.

Habbaku

I'm one district to the west, and I'm being bombarded just as frequently as you are, AR. It's getting old.

That said, just vote Ossoff already. Handel is a fucking goon and at least Ossoff isn't associated with Trump.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Quote from: Habbaku on June 05, 2017, 03:11:34 PM
I'm one district to the west, and I'm being bombarded just as frequently as you are, AR. It's getting old.

That said, just vote Ossoff already. Handel is a fucking goon and at least Ossoff isn't associated with Trump.

The place I'm staying currently is actually a 45 minute drive from my condo's voting place. So it would take me 1.5 hours of driving to vote. I'm not that excited about voting.

According to my coworker, Handel is a nice lady. Anyway, this is the most expensive race in history. I don't believe it makes any difference who wins. Republicans will control the house either way, and I don't think the history of the 2018 midterms (which do matter) will be materially impacted by the outcome of this election.

viper37

Allow me a little leeway here ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2017, 02:11:59 PM

Well, she dressed like a man.  She was a precursor of some sort.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2017, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2017, 02:11:59 PM

Well, she dressed like a man.  She was a precursor of some sort.

In fact, wasn't that the "official" reason she was convicted at her trial?   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius