Saudi Arabia,UAE,Egypt,Bahrain break diplomatic ties with Qatar over 'terrorism'

Started by Syt, June 05, 2017, 02:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Why is the US Central Command forward command center housed in a country that supportes terrorism?

dps

Quote from: Zanza on June 06, 2017, 11:54:38 AM
Why is the US Central Command forward command center housed in a country that supportes terrorism?

'Cause it has to be somewhere in the Middle East.

FunkMonk

Donald trying to withdraw from a military alliance via Twitter.

This has happened before :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on June 06, 2017, 10:58:19 AM
Most credulous man on the planet claims responsibility for Qatar isolation:

QuoteUS President Donald Trump has claimed credit for the pressure being placed on Qatar by Gulf neighbours who accuse it of supporting terrorism in the region.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE, Yemen, Libya's eastern-based government and the Maldives have all cut diplomatic and other ties with Qatar.
Mr Trump said he was told during his recent visit to Saudi Arabia that Qatar was funding "radical ideology".

He added that the visit was "already paying off".

Analysts say the timing of the move, two weeks after a visit to Saudi Arabia by Mr Trump, is crucial.

Mr Trump's speech in the Saudi capital Riyadh, in which he blamed Iran for instability in the Middle East and urged Muslim countries to take the lead in combating radicalisation, is seen as likely to have emboldened Gulf allies to act against Qatar.

"During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!" Mr Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935

Trump was trained by IS? They claim everything too.

Zanza

I know next to nothing about the intricacies of the Sunni-Shiite, Arab-Persian relations in the Gulf, but isolating Qatar like this only leaves them Iran as a potential ally, no? That can hardly be the goal to have Iran as last friend of a country that houses 10,000 US servicemen?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 06, 2017, 12:51:41 PM
I know next to nothing about the intricacies of the Sunni-Shiite, Arab-Persian relations in the Gulf, but isolating Qatar like this only leaves them Iran as a potential ally, no? That can hardly be the goal to have Iran as last friend of a country that houses 10,000 US servicemen?

Considering that this action will cause starvation and a crisis in Qatar I don't think this is going to be a long term situation. Whatever they want from Qatar they will get soon enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I guess that at the Pentagon they must be delighted with Trump's support for SA & its lackeys' action.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2017, 02:32:33 PM

I guess that at the Pentagon they must be delighted with Trump's support for SA & its lackeys' action.
Can't be long until Putin welcomes him in the golden Kremlin with something even more shiny than The Orb and tells him that the Ukrainians and Balts harbor terrorists.

The Larch

The EU should create the Order of the Golden Bauble, give him a big shiny medal and scepter, and see if that distracts him enough to get the US back to a reasonable position.

Zanza

We should welcome him in the Mirror Hall of Versailles and crown him honorary emperor of the Romans or so.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2017, 04:21:55 PM
The EU should create the Order of the Golden Bauble, give him a big shiny medal and scepter, and see if that distracts him enough to get the US back to a reasonable position.

Nah - it seems deeply coded in Trump's DNA to suck up to dictators and anger long-term allies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Oh look:

Quote from: CNNCNN Exclusive: US suspects Russian hackers planted fake news behind Qatar crisis

Washington (CNN)US investigators believe Russian hackers breached Qatar's state news agency and planted a fake news report that contributed to a crisis among the US' closest Gulf allies, according to US officials briefed on the investigation.

The FBI recently sent a team of investigators to Doha to help the Qatari government investigate the alleged hacking incident, Qatari and US government officials say.

Intelligence gathered by the US security agencies indicates that Russian hackers were behind the intrusion first reported by the Qatari government two weeks ago, US officials say. Qatar hosts one of the largest US military bases in the region.

The alleged involvement of Russian hackers intensifies concerns by US intelligence and law enforcement agencies that Russia continues to try some of the same cyber-hacking measures on US allies that intelligence agencies believe it used to meddle in the 2016 elections.

US officials say the Russian goal appears to be to cause rifts among the US and its allies. In recent months, suspected Russian cyber activities, including the use of fake news stories, have turned up amid elections in France, Germany and other countries.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html

Valmy

Seriously? After he boasted about how great it was everybody was ganging up on the country our big military base is in?

This President is driving my to alcoholism.

I can only hope CNN is up to its normal level of journalism and there is nothing to this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2017, 07:33:57 PM
I can only hope CNN is up to its normal level of journalism and there is nothing to this.

To be fair to CNN, it was the Qataris (Quitarists?) that were blaming fake media for the reports over the weekend about the alleged pro-Iranian statements that started this mess.

The Minsky Moment

So basically the Russians ran an operation seeking to knock out the us base in Qatar and trump completely fell to it
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson