Saudi Arabia,UAE,Egypt,Bahrain break diplomatic ties with Qatar over 'terrorism'

Started by Syt, June 05, 2017, 02:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I think this may deserve its own thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/05/saudi-arabia-and-bahrain-break-diplomatic-ties-with-qatar-over-terrorism

QuoteSaudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain break diplomatic ties with Qatar over 'terrorism'

Saudi Arabia said the move was necessary to protect the kingdom from what it described as extremism, reasoning that was echoed by Bahrain

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain have broken off diplomatic relations and all land, sea and air contacts with fellow Gulf Arab state Qatar, in the region's most serious diplomatic crisis in years.

Saudi Arabia on Monday said the move was necessary to protect the kingdom from what it described as terrorism and extremism. The kingdom also pulled all Qatari troops from the coalition fighting the ongoing war in Yemen.

The official state news agency, citing an official source, said Saudi Arabia had decided to sever diplomatic and consular relations with Qatar "proceeding from the exercise of its sovereign right guaranteed by international law and the protection of national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism".

Saudi Arabia cut all land, air and sea contacts with Qatar "and urges all brotherly countries and companies to do the same." Despite the order for the border with Qatar to be closed, Saudi Arabia said that it will continue to provide all services and facilities needed by Qatari pilgrims currently in the Kingdom.

The decision comes after Qatar alleged in late May that it was the victim of a sophisticated propaganda assault including the publication of a series of articles hostile to Qatar in the US and the hacking of the Qatar government website in a bid to undermine its standing in the Gulf and in Washington.

The hacking of the website led to the publication of false remarks by the emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, that purportedly had him criticising some leaders of fellow Gulf Arab states and calling for an easing of tensions with Iran. Qatar claimed there was "a hostile media campaign against the State of Qatar".

In response to the alleged comments by the emir, Saudi Arabia and the UAE both blocked Qatari-based news outlets, including Al Jazeera, from broadcasting in their territory.

Qatar is home to the sprawling al-Udeid air base, which is home to the US military's central command and some 10,000 American troops. It was not clear if the decision would affect American military operations. Central command officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Qatar has long faced criticism from its Arab neighbors over its support of Islamists. The chief worry among them is the Muslim Brotherhood, a Sunni Islamist political group outlawed by both Saudi Arabia and the UAE as it challenges the nations' hereditary rule.

Gulf countries led by Saudi Arabia fell out with Qatar over its backing of then-Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi, a Brotherhood member. In March 2014, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain recalled their ambassadors from Qatar over the rift.

Eight months later, they returned their ambassadors as Qatar forced some Brotherhood members to leave the country and quieted others. However, the 2014 crisis did not see a land and sea blockade as threatened now.

In the time since, Qatar repeatedly and strongly denied it funds extremist groups. However, it remains a key financial patron of the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip and has been the home of exiled Hamas official Khaled Mashaal since 2012.

Western officials also have accused Qatar of allowing or even encouraging funding of Sunni extremists like al-Qaida's branch in Syria, once known as the Nusra Front.

The row comes only two weeks after Donald Trump visited the Middle East to seal major defence contracts with Saudi worth $110bn, set up an anti-extremist institute in Riyadh and urge the Gulf States to build on an alliance against Iran.

Although it is unlikely Saudi Arabia would have instigated this action against Qatar without first informing the US, it is possible that Trump did not give the green light to such drastic steps.

The Saudis are in part countering the allegation of funding extremism, frequently made in Washington and in the past by Donald Trump himself, by pointing the finger at Qatar for funding terrorism.

Speaking in Australia, US secretary of state Rex Tillerson played down the seriousness of the diplomatic dispute, and said it would not affect ongoing counter-terrorism efforts.

"I think what we're witnessing is a growing list of irritants in the region that have been there for some time, and they've bubbled up so that countries have taken action in order to have those differences addressed."

Tillerson said the US was willing to act as a broker to assist in negotiations between the countries.

"We certainly would encourage the parties to sit down together and address those differences. If there's any role that we can play in terms of helping them address those, we think it is important that the GCC remains unified."

Tillerson, in Sydney for the annual AusMin four-way meeting between Australia's foreign and defence ministers and US secretaries of state and defence, said regional efforts to counter the threat of terrorism would be undiminished.

"I do not expect that this will have any significant impact, if any impact at all, on the unified - the united - fight against terrorism in the region or globally. All of those parties you mentioned have been quite unified in the fight against terrorism and the fight against Daesh, ISIS, and have expressed that most recently in the summit in Riyadh."

His comments came after Bahrain's foreign affairs ministry issued a statement early on Monday saying it would withdraw its diplomatic mission from the Qatari capital of Doha within 48 hours and that all Qatari diplomats should leave Bahrain within the same period.

The ministry's statement said Qatari citizens needed to leave Bahrain within two weeks and that air and sea traffic between the two countries would be halted. It wasn't immediately clear how that would affect Qatar Airways, one of the region's major long-haul carriers.

Bahrain blamed Qatar's "media incitement, support for armed terrorist activities and funding linked to Iranian groups to carry out sabotage and spreading chaos in Bahrain" for its decision.

The UAE's state news agency WAM reported the Emirates cut ties and gave diplomats 48 hours to leave the country, citing their "support, funding and embrace of terrorist, extremist and sectarian organisations". Abu Dhabi-based airline Etihad said it was suspending flights to Qatar.

Egypt announced the closure of its airspace and seaports for all Qatari transportation to protect its national security.

Egypt cut ties with Qatar, accusing the Gulf Arab state of supporting "terrorist" organisations including the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's state news agency reported.

Qatar had no immediate comment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteAlthough it is unlikely Saudi Arabia would have instigated this action against Qatar without first informing the US, it is possible that Trump did not give the green light to such drastic steps.

I wouldn't jump to such conclusions. Ivanka did get a 100 mil payout didn't she? Seems like a fair deal.

CountDeMoney

QuoteAlthough it is unlikely Saudi Arabia would have instigated this action against Qatar without first informing the US, it is possible that Trump did not give the green light to such drastic steps.
[/quote]

It's not like anybody's around at State to answer the phones anyway.

mongers

Middle East sees heightened production levels of traditional kitchen iron work.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Saudi Arabia is breaking with Qatar over funding of terrorism?  Is this their attempt to corner the market?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2017, 08:04:53 AM
Saudi Arabia is breaking with Qatar over funding of terrorism?  Is this their attempt to corner the market?

They are not backing the right ones, is my guess.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2017, 10:15:21 AM
What is really going on here?
Qatar is too friendly with Iran and supports some groups the Saudis and Egyptians don't like, e.g. Hamas and Muslim Brotherhood. The others also dislike Al Jazeera.

alfred russel

And here we discover a real advantage of being a dictatorship in the Trump era.

Trump is a pathetic man prone to be swayed by whoever sucks up to him the most. The Saudis, despite Trump's anti-muslim bias, roll out the red carpet for him. They even let him touch the orb.

European leaders, on the other hand, make snide remarks and imply he is stupid, as they are politicians, and their voters don't care for Trump and such behavior is in line with voter sentiment.

Hence, Trump is going to be fine with taking the Saudis side in ME politics and rolling over any progressive elements in the ME. But he is going to try to stop German car manufacturers from importing the cars they make in the US.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 05, 2017, 03:05:48 PM
And here we discover a real advantage of being a dictatorship in the Trump era.

Trump is a pathetic man prone to be swayed by whoever sucks up to him the most. The Saudis, despite Trump's anti-muslim bias, roll out the red carpet for him. They even let him touch the orb.

European leaders, on the other hand, make snide remarks and imply he is stupid, as they are politicians, and their voters don't care for Trump and such behavior is in line with voter sentiment.

Hence, Trump is going to be fine with taking the Saudis side in ME politics and rolling over any progressive elements in the ME. But he is going to try to stop German car manufacturers from importing the cars they make in the US.
This is why I would prefer Pence as president.  Yes, Pence would be far more effective at inflicting internal damage to US, but that damage is far easier to undo than the geopolitical catastrophe Trump's stupidity will inflict on the entire civilized world.

Grinning_Colossus

Most credulous man on the planet claims responsibility for Qatar isolation:

QuoteUS President Donald Trump has claimed credit for the pressure being placed on Qatar by Gulf neighbours who accuse it of supporting terrorism in the region.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE, Yemen, Libya's eastern-based government and the Maldives have all cut diplomatic and other ties with Qatar.
Mr Trump said he was told during his recent visit to Saudi Arabia that Qatar was funding "radical ideology".

He added that the visit was "already paying off".

Analysts say the timing of the move, two weeks after a visit to Saudi Arabia by Mr Trump, is crucial.

Mr Trump's speech in the Saudi capital Riyadh, in which he blamed Iran for instability in the Middle East and urged Muslim countries to take the lead in combating radicalisation, is seen as likely to have emboldened Gulf allies to act against Qatar.

"During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!" Mr Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40175935
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Shouldn't he at least check to make sure this is a good thing for our interests before taking credit for it? Don't we have a huge base in Qatar?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."