Terror attack in London, pedestrians hit on London bridge

Started by viper37, June 03, 2017, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
Will they ignore the fact the "Italian" is called Youssef Yaghba? Dual citizenship.

Makes it all the worse I fear.
They seriously belived back at referendum time that refugees will flood into Germany, go to the effort to learn German, assimilate and claim German citizenship... All so they can then exploit this new EU citizenship to move to the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2017, 03:11:19 PM
Sometimes I love the Brits: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3731817/defiant-battlecry-of-hero-footie-fan-hailed-the-lion-of-london-bridge-after-single-handedly-fighting-machete-terror-trio-with-bare-fists/

:lol:

Apparently there was a fair amount of the bottle-hurling, chair-throwing variety of resistance while the terrorists tried to kill as many people as possible before the security forces arrived. I wonder how many lives were saved by this resistance, or was it irrelevant?

CountDeMoney

The Larch

Up there with the Scottish guy who kicked a would-be suicide terrorist in the balls?

Jacob

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 06, 2017, 03:38:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2017, 03:11:19 PM
Sometimes I love the Brits: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3731817/defiant-battlecry-of-hero-footie-fan-hailed-the-lion-of-london-bridge-after-single-handedly-fighting-machete-terror-trio-with-bare-fists/

:lol:

Apparently there was a fair amount of the bottle-hurling, chair-throwing variety of resistance while the terrorists tried to kill as many people as possible before the security forces arrived. I wonder how many lives were saved by this resistance, or was it irrelevant?

Probably hard to quantify that, but I still score it as a morale victory - and since terrorism is essentially about morale victories that's still significant.

garbon

Friends don't let friends post on Languish when they've been afternoon drinking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2017, 04:51:24 PM
Friends don't let friends post on Languish when they've been afternoon drinking.

Indeed, it's a rather embarrassing post.

Besides, by various account all sorts of people got involved, plus some pretty quick thinking bar/restaurant staff may have saved many by literally bringing down the shutters in front of the attackers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Can't help but notice how much this attack is being reported in the media. And that even on languish the thread is longer than the Manchester one.
This was a few stabbings in London. Sad but not a unheard of event. The Manchester bomb was far more significant and damaging and investigations are still ongoing.
Then there's that it is being so heavily reported with an election upcoming. Really giving the pm a chance to make some easy speeches.

:(
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Well, May seems to have gone full-tilt GWB:

Quote from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/06/theresa-may-will-not-let-human-rights-act-stop-bringing-new/"We should do even more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they present a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court. 

"And if human rights laws get in the way of doing these things, we will change those laws to make sure we can do them.

"If I am elected as Prime Minister on Thursday, I can tell you that this vital work begins on Friday."
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2017, 05:49:20 PM
Can't help but notice how much this attack is being reported in the media. And that even on languish the thread is longer than the Manchester one.
This was a few stabbings in London. Sad but not a unheard of event. The Manchester bomb was far more significant and damaging and investigations are still ongoing.
Then there's that it is being so heavily reported with an election upcoming. Really giving the pm a chance to make some easy speeches.

:(

Well one is the capital of the country and certainly more languishites have visited it than Manchester.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

If the terrorists can clock up a couple more significant attacks in the next 2-3 months then I can see internment being re-introduced in the UK.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 08, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
If the terrorists can clock up a couple more significant attacks in the next 2-3 months then I can see internment being re-introduced in the UK.

Hard to belief, but a newly emboldened May government might go down that cul-de-sac.

Heath's action was an equally bad and counter-productive action, but at least it was limited to one small part of the UK and there the killings were threatening to get out of hand, as that year had seen more than a hundred murdered in an area of 1.5 million people.

This year in the UK we've seen first five people killed, then twenty-two and now eight more out of 60 million, so the threat to civilised, everyday life is orders of magnitude less.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 08, 2017, 01:10:50 AM

So I need to re-watch the few good bits of V for Vendetta then? The dictatorship bits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

If she loses the election she called for, like Cameron lost his referendum, maybe you guys will stop doing that sort of thing?