Terror attack in London, pedestrians hit on London bridge

Started by viper37, June 03, 2017, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grallon on June 05, 2017, 07:12:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2017, 06:57:00 PM

:rolleyes:

I wonder how long you'll go on with your denial?  How many deaths will it take?  How much destruction do you need to witness before you admit to the truth?

Or perhaps your need to feel morally superior trumps the lives of all the present and future victims of Islamism?

G.

Yeah, Jacob, you could prevent all those needless deaths.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on June 05, 2017, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2017, 11:20:40 AM
Moderate Muslims

:lol:  You do realize there is no such thing right?

G.
depends.  do you think there is such a thing as a moderate christian, a moderate buddhist, a moderate jew, a moderate raelian?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on June 05, 2017, 07:40:14 PM
depends.  do you think there is such a thing as a moderate christian, a moderate buddhist, a moderate jew, a moderate raelian?

Do any of these other sub-groups drive planes into buildings or trucks into crowds on a regular basis?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

CountDeMoney

I thought the whole "alt-right faggot moose lamb hater" thing had been worn out for a few months already.

HVC

Quote from: Grallon on June 05, 2017, 08:06:04 PM

Do any of these other sub-groups drive planes into buildings or trucks into crowds on a regular basis?

G.

At this point in history who has killed more people in the U.K., Irish Catholics or Muslims? Serious question. The troubles went on for quite a while.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

I wonder how long you'll go on with your denial?  How many deaths will it take?  How much destruction do you need to witness before you admit to the truth?

Or perhaps your need to feel morally superior trumps the lives of all the present and future victims of Islamism?

"Feel superior" is laughable coming from you. You only post on Languish when people have died so you can parade your smug ghoulish bigotry.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2017, 08:37:07 PM

"Feel superior" is laughable coming from you. You only post on Languish when people have died so you can parade your smug ghoulish bigotry.

You are a lot more complimentary to him than I was about to post.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

G.
Define "regular basis".  I'm pretty sure there are more victims of mass shootings in the US committed by Christians than terror acts by Muslims.

There is certainly a problem with Islam, in the way it is taught, something that makes people more vulnerable, right now, than other communities, to radicalism.  But to say there is no such thing as a moderate muslim, unless you have a very narrow view of what is a muslim, the exact same view as ISIS, in fact, than it is false to say there are no moderate muslims.

As for the other groups, well there are fanatical buddhists in Thailand and Myanmar, often advocating violence.
For Christians, as HVC said, you need to look at the IRA's actions.  They didn't always strike at the Empire's symbols, they often did not even tried, preferring easier marks like civilians.
For Jews, you only need to look at our own Israeli here.  I wouldn't call Siegebreaker a moderate, and he's been out of the country for a while.  Most of these settlers are pretty radical about whom the land should belong to and where Palestinians can go.  And since Trump's dear friend Bibi has won a few elections by now, I wouldn't say the people who don't want a Palestinian state as neighbour are a tiny minority.
For Raelians, well, so far, there as been no violence.  Various petty crimes, seizure of assets (as with all sects) and likely sex with minors, but who cares, they're not killing anyone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Quote from: Grallon on June 05, 2017, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2017, 11:20:40 AM
Moderate Muslims

:lol:  You do realize there is no such thing right?

G.

Honest question - do you actually personally know any Muslims on a neighbourly level?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: HVC on June 05, 2017, 08:12:31 PM

G.

At this point in history who has killed more people in the U.K., Irish Catholics or Muslims? Serious question. The troubles went on for quite a while.

3,600 people were killed in the "troubles", this includes killings by all the protagonists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles

Some morons gave some Irish people a nasty time, but we are talking about Saturday night fights down the pub rather than any organised racism.

Tamas

My problem with the "moderate Muslim" expression is that it suggests that for a Muslim, the main source of political identity is his/her religion.

Which I don't think is true. Or at least I hope not. As it would spell trouble for integration.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2017, 04:31:52 AM
My problem with the "moderate Muslim" expression is that it suggests that for a Muslim, the main source of political identity is his/her religion.

Which I don't think is true. Or at least I hope not. As it would spell trouble for integration.

Well it is used as a term by people who are 1) noting that they don't exist and 2) that Islam overrides any other political feelings they may have.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.