Main Menu

For Women in Weiner Scandal, Indignity Lingers

Started by garbon, June 24, 2013, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 20, 2017, 01:59:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 19, 2017, 07:54:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 06:26:02 PM
Yeah until the Monica Lewinsky thing came to light, after he was re-elected mind you, most Democrats did not believe he was a slimeball. So it never became a major factor in any of his political campaigns. But I don't think there is any way he could have pulled that off today.

I don't recall many people not believing he wasn't a slimeball.   :huh:

:unsure:

I can't believe that you cannot work out what those triple negative didn't mean.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on May 20, 2017, 08:36:46 AM
People knew he had cheated on Hillary, but I don't think they were aware of that he was a serial philanderer, and they certainly weren't aware of the aspect of it that you referred to as "powerful men propositioning their underlings or whatever".

I think that this is correct, but I also think that the bar has been raised on what politicians can get away with scot-free.  I think Trump supporters know that he is a scumbag, but they think he has other attributes of "fearlessness" that make his fearless abuse of women an acceptable price to pay.  "Grab 'em by the pussy" would have doomed any other candidate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2017, 09:00:23 AM
I also think that the bar has been raised on what politicians can get away with scot-free.  I think Trump supporters know that he is a scumbag, but they think he has other attributes of "fearlessness" that make his fearless abuse of women an acceptable price to pay.  "Grab 'em by the pussy" would have doomed any other candidate.

I fear that you are right.  I hope that Trump is just an aberration, but I don't really have any confidence in the idea.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 11:39:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 19, 2017, 07:54:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 06:26:02 PM
Yeah until the Monica Lewinsky thing came to light, after he was re-elected mind you, most Democrats did not believe he was a slimeball. So it never became a major factor in any of his political campaigns. But I don't think there is any way he could have pulled that off today.

I don't recall many people not believing he wasn't a slimeball.   :huh:

Really? But he felt their pain.

The record was established before he even entered the White House he was a slimeball.  Whether he was scumbag that warranted impeachment was a different story.