National Lampoon's Presidential Vacation: The Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, May 19, 2017, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2017, 12:54:16 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 29, 2017, 12:17:55 PM
Merkel's comment got more attention internationally than merited. She is currently campaigning and a bit of America-skepticism has always been popular with German voters and Trump is an easy target as he is extremely unpopular in Germany. She is and will stay an instinctive transatlanticist.

Yes, I read The Economist, I know who her audiences are. Doesn't mean I can't hope for German rearmament.
I hadn't even read the Economist article before you referred to it. It's a much better description of her target audiences than what I wrote.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 01:18:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 07:35:45 AM
The important thing is that it's a really lovely place.  :wub:

Wow, that is lovely!

Taormina is indeed a lovely town, and the views from the theater are a sight to behold, with the Etna in the background.

Seriously, I might consider taking a vacation there, for the views like that in the picture you posted alone. Would you recommend a visit?

Absolutely. Taormina is a lovely small town, and there are loads of really beautiful places to visit all over Sicily. If you want tips I would be more than happy to help you out.  :)

Watch out, I may just hold you to that.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

I don't think Taormina would even make my top 5 places in Sicily.
You should definitely go if you get a chance.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 02:46:42 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 01:18:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2017, 12:44:14 PM

Wow, that is lovely!

Taormina is indeed a lovely town, and the views from the theater are a sight to behold, with the Etna in the background.

Seriously, I might consider taking a vacation there, for the views like that in the picture you posted alone. Would you recommend a visit?

Absolutely. Taormina is a lovely small town, and there are loads of really beautiful places to visit all over Sicily. If you want tips I would be more than happy to help you out.  :)

Watch out, I may just hold you to that.  :D

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2017, 03:31:08 PM

What's your Sicily Top 5 then? Palermo, Siracusa, Agrigento, Cefalù and Catania?  ;)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2017, 12:54:16 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 29, 2017, 12:17:55 PM
Merkel's comment got more attention internationally than merited. She is currently campaigning and a bit of America-skepticism has always been popular with German voters and Trump is an easy target as he is extremely unpopular in Germany. She is and will stay an instinctive transatlanticist.

Yes, I read The Economist, I know who her audiences are. Doesn't mean I can't hope for German rearmament.

You just want white on black counters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2017, 07:35:30 PM

Double movement during the Exploitation Phase?  Fuck yeah.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2017, 08:02:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2017, 07:35:30 PM

Double movement during the Exploitation Phase?  Fuck yeah.

Plus a column shift to the right on the CRT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 06:38:11 PM

What's your Sicily Top 5 then? Palermo, Siracusa, Agrigento, Cefalù and Catania?  ;)

I haven't yet been to Palermo, Monreale and Cefalu, I'm sure they would be up there.

Villa del Casale, Valle dei Templi, Selinunte, Erice, Mozia, Siracusa and M. Etna would all hold their own against Taormina imo. Taormina is beautiful, just not as interesting.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on May 30, 2017, 02:23:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2017, 06:38:11 PM

I haven't yet been to Palermo, Monreale and Cefalu, I'm sure they would be up there.

Villa del Casale, Valle dei Templi, Selinunte, Erice, Mozia, Siracusa and M. Etna would all hold their own against Taormina imo. Taormina is beautiful, just not as interesting.

Ah, I see that your scope is wider, I was only thinking about cities and towns, not going to your level of detail. I haven't been to W. Sicily so no idea about Mozia or Erice. Valle dei Templi, absolutely deserves to be there. Selinunte for some reasons didn't quite blow me away as much, although it's definitely a place to see. Agree on Siracusa and Etna (I actually went there from Taormina :p). I wanted to go to Vila del Casale but finally couldn't, went to Caltagirone instead which was very nice but not mind blowing.

All this talking is making me want to go back! If/Next time I go back there, I'll make sure to visit the western side of the island. I'm curious about the interior and the Eolian islands as well. Any tips?

crazy canuck

Ok, consider yourself the official Languish tourguide.

Where should I go?

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on May 30, 2017, 07:44:51 PM

All this talking is making me want to go back! If/Next time I go back there, I'll make sure to visit the western side of the island. I'm curious about the interior and the Eolian islands as well. Any tips?

I really enjoyed the west, Trapani and Marsala are both pleasant enough towns, and I see I failed to list the Segesta temple.

The islands are well worth it from what I've heard, Lipari and Vulcano (and of course Stromboli) in particular.

As for the interior, some beautiful hilltop villages around Enna sping to mind. edit: working from home today, I've got my pictures here :cool:

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2017, 09:52:57 PM

Ok, consider yourself the official Languish tourguide.

Where should I go?

Sicilian Languish meet, anyone?  :lol:

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on May 31, 2017, 05:48:49 AM

Sicilian Languish meet, anyone?  :lol:

I'm in. I have been to Italy way too little lately. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on May 31, 2017, 07:17:29 AM
I have been to Italy way too little lately. :(

It's on my list of places to visit if I win the lottery.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?