Oxford medical student stabs date, won't go to jail bc it'd be career damaging

Started by The Larch, May 17, 2017, 09:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I found a baptist church there(Portugal), but don't know how to make links on my phone.  :(

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

weren't Baptists a big thing in Portugal in the 60's? Maybe it was another denomination, but I remember my dad saying he joined a church and was such a bad singer they told him to lip sync in the choir :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2017, 08:38:09 AM
weren't Baptists a big thing in Portugal in the 60's? Maybe it was another denomination, but I remember my dad saying he joined a church and was such a bad singer they told him to lip sync in the choir :D

:secret:

I really doubt Salazar would have agreed with that.  :P

The crazy pentecostal/evangelical cults e.g Igreja Universal do Reino de deus came through Brazil later on, 90's or so I think.

HVC

Wikipedia says

QuoteThe 1950s and 1960s saw the arrival of Pentecostals who increased in numbers more rapidly than the earlier arrivals did. All groups, however, were hampered by prohibitions and restrictions against the free exercise of their religions, especially missionary activities.

... but it's wiki, so who knows.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2017, 08:41:46 AM
Wikipedia says

QuoteThe 1950s and 1960s saw the arrival of Pentecostals who increased in numbers more rapidly than the earlier arrivals did. All groups, however, were hampered by prohibitions and restrictions against the free exercise of their religions, especially missionary activities.

... but it's wiki, so who knows.

Well, the link implies Salazar did not take kindly their arrival too.  :P

Maybe under the Marcelo Caetano Spring, so late '60s, early '70s.  :hmm:

HVC

no, I agree that Salazar definitely made it difficult, I just take the blurb to mean that protestants were still a thing. My dad lived in Lisbon, which I imagine would have a larger concentration.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2017, 08:47:03 AM
no, I agree that Salazar definitely made it difficult, I just take the blurb to mean that protestants were still a thing. My dad lived in Lisbon, which I imagine would have a larger concentration.

Al-Ushbona er... Lisbon would also get the only but very few muslims in Portugal from the late '60s too.

HVC

your Northern-ness is showing :D

My dad came to Canada in the 67, so he was out before Caetano.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2017, 08:53:57 AM
your Northern-ness is showing :D

My dad came to Canada in the 67, so he was out before Caetano.

Salazar was very old by then, would fall (litterally) from power the following year so the PIDE was out of control back then, even worse than the usual bad.

Gups

Only Languish would derail a thread about a hot stabby chick into the history of prots in Portugal  :wacko:

Courtesy of the Society for sustaining Ed's boner....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4546240/oxford-student-woodward-loved-sm-style-outfits-and-bragged-about-orgies/

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Gups on September 26, 2017, 09:17:31 AM
Only Languish would derail a thread about a hot stabby chick into the history of prots in Portugal  :wacko:

Courtesy of the Society for sustaining Ed's boner....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4546240/oxford-student-woodward-loved-sm-style-outfits-and-bragged-about-orgies/

Not wise, it's been over 4 hours.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on September 26, 2017, 09:17:31 AM

An intellectual is someone who..

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Ah ok. See I thought since I was heterosexual perhaps it was just my bias in thinking he was a dumpy dude.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."