News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone here hit by the Ransom Ware attack?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Liep on May 15, 2017, 11:53:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 08:02:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 14, 2017, 09:58:48 PM
Wondering if anyone here works at a company that got by this attack or one like it.

No, I do not use Windows XP ever since Vista SP1 got released.

I hear it's infecting Windows 7 PCs as well.

EDIT: Last photo here is 7 and then the first reply:
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/863525648882642946
that particular flaw was fix a few months ago.  In Windows 7, you can still disable mandatory updating, so it's possible the systems were not patched.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 11:36:58 AM
Refuse to run modern operating systems, and instead run stuff that isn't even supported anymore, you get what you get.

Although, as systems in Russia, Ukraine and China in particular have been blitzed, I wonder if there's a connection between counterfeit copies of Windows and this bug.  I mean, can you patch a counterfeit OS?

I have a lot of sympathy for people who run old operating systems.  That's usually because they have legacy (and mission critical) programmes that only run on the older operating systems.  In HK for example, a lot of the critical hospital software is written by doctors in their spare time.  They are essentially amateur programmers.  That programme is only compatible with Windows XP and IE 6.0, and nothing else.  Upgrade to Windows 7, and that programme goes bust.   
at least, run a modern version of Linux if license costs are problematic.  You'll invest in training & migration costs.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 07:22:16 PM
NK hasn't been it, and it's an exploit based on NSA's discovery shared by Snowden, available to those who bought the info.

Considering how NK has only about 1,000 IP addresses and has to go through a Chinese provider anyway, they probably couldn't catch a internet virus even if they wanted to.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 11:36:58 AM
Refuse to run modern operating systems, and instead run stuff that isn't even supported anymore, you get what you get.

Although, as systems in Russia, Ukraine and China in particular have been blitzed, I wonder if there's a connection between counterfeit copies of Windows and this bug.  I mean, can you patch a counterfeit OS?

I have a lot of sympathy for people who run old operating systems.  That's usually because they have legacy (and mission critical) programmes that only run on the older operating systems.  In HK for example, a lot of the critical hospital software is written by doctors in their spare time.  They are essentially amateur programmers.  That programme is only compatible with Windows XP and IE 6.0, and nothing else.  Upgrade to Windows 7, and that programme goes bust.   
at least, run a modern version of Linux if license costs are problematic.  You'll invest in training & migration costs.

Windows is a given.  Anything else is not an option  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 06:15:56 PM

Whatever, Countie McFitter.  Save it for the Gucchi bags and the the Holodex watches.

I have been using the same no name $30 bag for like 7-8 years.  And I don't buy or wear watches  :bowler:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 07:50:10 PM
They're free.  as in no money.  At all.  Every software you can dream of is free to run or compile by yourself.

Try this one:
https://www.archlinux.org/
Free.  In all the meanings of the word.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
They're free.  as in no money.  At all.  Every software you can dream of is free to run or compile by yourself.

Try this one:

It isn't just the financial cost.  There is the small problem that nobody knows how to use Linux, and that everybody else uses Windows  :P

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 08:14:38 PM

Try this one:

It isn't just the financial cost.  There is the small problem that nobody knows how to use Linux, and that everybody else uses Windows  :P
Well, tbh, I gave you the link to one of Linux most complicated distros to use, and it's really made for experts, because you need to install&compile everything by yourself, even the kernel patch.  But you got freedom, so I figured for a genuine libertarian, freedom would be better than convenience.

However, Ubuntu and Mint are pretty good, they have large user base, especially Ubuntu and you can do most stuff out of the box.

Since you're a loyalist to the mainland and would never do something as subsersive as using a non approved OS for your computer, this is what you're looking for:  https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ubuntu-kylin
Ubuntu Kylin is an official flavour of Ubuntu. It is a free PC operating system created for China and complies with the Chinese government procurement regulations. It includes all the features you've come to expect from Ubuntu, alongside essential Chinese software and apps. The interface has been designed specifically to put Chinese users first — and with support for touch screens and HiDPI monitors, it runs beautifully on all kinds of hardware.

All in all, so long as you do only basic computing stuff, like managing your Qbittorrent and your Kodi to play the multi-episode anime series you like, it's perfect for you.  And as a bonus, it is, by default, more secure than any version of Windows.

and you got great support over here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

Caveat: good luck making wireless work and keep working.

Monoriu

Any system that is not Windows based is a non-starter  :P

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!