And we're back!

Main Menu

Your "Fuck Yeah" Story of the Day

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2017, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on April 21, 2017, 11:10:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2017, 10:34:15 AM
I'm confident these eagles would see better use in a counter-terrorism deployment in an urban environment, say over Paris or other large cities, sporting venues and the like, as opposed to deployment to ISISland, pitted against swarms of drones.

Berkut just wants to see jobs for raptor trainers eliminated.  Always with the automation.  And fuck pilots, while we're at it.

I'd say that they're intended for site defence, like in bases, airfields and the like. As for ways to take down drones, I think there are better ones that don't involve shooting. I know of a security company over here that has recently created a drone division, and one of the services they're advertising is "drone neutralization", and I highly doubt it involves shooting them down.

:yes: They use pH adjustment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I'd say that they're intended for site defence, like in bases, airfields and the like. As for ways to take down drones, I think there are better ones that don't involve shooting. I know of a security company over here that has recently created a drone division, and one of the services they're advertising is "drone neutralization", and I highly doubt it involves shooting them down.

OK. :mellow:

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 21, 2017, 10:10:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2017, 10:06:34 AM
How would a counter-drone drone take out its target, do you reckon?

It could probably use a chain to tangle up its propellers or something.

King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
Guard: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound drone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2017, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2017, 10:34:15 AM
I'm confident these eagles would see better use in a counter-terrorism deployment in an urban environment, say over Paris or other large cities, sporting venues and the like, as opposed to deployment to ISISland, pitted against swarms of drones.

Berkut just wants to see jobs for raptor trainers eliminated.  Always with the automation.  And fuck pilots, while we're at it.

:yes: They use pH adjustment.

We don't get enough chemistry jokes here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Josquius

I've seen this before, quite amazing they can avoid the propellers
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2017, 03:45:04 AM

I suppose they are used to hunting stuff that sometimes fights back;  it's not always fluffy little bunnies or fish for dinner.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2017, 06:37:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2017, 03:45:04 AM

I suppose they are used to hunting stuff that sometimes fights back;  it's not always fluffy little bunnies or fish for dinner.

The answer is cute little eagle shin guards
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2017, 10:10:05 AM
As far as taking them out, I don't see why a drone can't be pretty easily armed with something that can match up with some claws.
Something like that?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2017, 10:10:05 AM
As far as taking them out, I don't see why a drone can't be pretty easily armed with something that can match up with some claws.

I suspect these are not just to be operated in war zones. It's probably safer for the public if the French military limit the amount of high velocity shrapnel/projectiles over Paris to a minimum.

Zoupa

Guys it says right in the article that they're developping protective stuff for the birds, on the talons etc.

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on April 24, 2017, 12:55:53 AM
Guys it says right in the article that they're developping protective stuff for the birds, on the talons etc.

They are still going to get hurt though.

You might as well say a knight has armor and a shield, so they can be confident to never be injured.

I do think one thing that could be an advantage to a biological weapon like this is if the plan is to basically train them, then essentially let them live in a particular area.

IE, you want them to protect a particular base, you have them nest at the base, and they are free to fly around, so you don't need a human "on guard" 24/7.

If that is NOT the plan, if they are going to be deployed situationally and where desired, I am not really sure why they would be better than another drone appropriately armed to take out other drones, whatever that might be (I am assuming such things exist already).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

That's the plan the article infers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.