News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

South Africa question

Started by Savonarola, July 22, 2016, 12:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Sounds like a good trip. I've been at Pilanesburg. Good safari for how close it is to Pretoria.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2017, 05:18:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2017, 04:23:58 PM
I was talking about black South Africans Jacob.

White South Africans can be screaming hott.

Ah... where are the prettiest Black women from, in your opinion?
Ethiopia

Admiral Yi

Ethiopian chicks have very pretty faces but are usually mushy in the back in my experience.

Savonarola

Quote from: Archy on July 23, 2016, 02:10:28 PM
They consider English soldiers and South Africans of British descent to be rednecks

I was wondering if that was the reason so many of the technicians and engineers were white ("The people wearing cover-alls" in my story.)  In the United States a large portion of engineers are immigrants or second generation Americans.  Engineering is viewed as a way to make it to America by many immigrants and a way to achieve "The American Dream."  Maybe that's viewed as the ticket for rednecks to enter the middle class in South Africa.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2017, 04:06:59 PM
Thanks for the update Sav.  Haven't seen you in a while  :hug:

Europeans are usually surprised that our credit cards have no PIN as well, so I am used to that. 

My solution to the long flight problem is to bring a laptop loaded with anime. 

I never get how people can charm strangers on a flight.  I think my body language makes it quite clear that I am not interested in any conversation beyond 'I want chicken, thank you.'

Heh, well there's a reason why your an accountant, not a salesman, Mono.   ;)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on April 21, 2017, 05:31:43 PM
Sounds like a good trip. I've been at Pilanesburg. Good safari for how close it is to Pretoria.

So long as Transnet does actually get the contract it was a good trip.

For a day trip I don't think you can beat Pilanesburg.  The locals recommended Kruger or Hwange in Zimbabwe; but we didn't have the time for either of those.

Savonarola

Bill started going into old war stories with Transnet when we were down there.  Their lawyer was genuinely disturbed when Bill told them that some of our sub-contractors employees were thrown in jail for cutting down trees.  You could tell they were wondering what they had gotten themselves into.

Later, though, some of their engineers had worked in other parts of Africa and had even more amazing stories.  My favorite was from one guy who worked in Uganda.  Usually the weight of trains is carefully calculated to make sure they can travel up grade, make curves without derailing and brake in sufficient time from receiving a stop signal.  Even in Colombia they had detailed track maps, braking curves and carriage weight long before we started our project.  Uganda, on the other hand, dispenses with all of that.  There they started up the locomotive and try to move the train.  If it doesn't go forward they decouple the last four cars and try again.  If that doesn't work they repeat the process until they could go forward.

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2017, 03:56:03 PM

Heh, well there's a reason why your an accountant, not a salesman, Mono.   ;)

Hey! Accountants can be personable... most aren't, but still :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

I am not even an accountant  :lol:

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on April 24, 2017, 10:36:02 AM
I am not even an accountant  :lol:

Could you change your career?  The joke works better accountant than bureaucrat.

;)

Sorry, Mono