News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Élection présidentielle française

Started by Zanza, April 23, 2017, 04:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Don't count your heads before the guillotine blade has dropped.

Duque de Bragança

There is always a honeymoon after the presidential election though. Even Hollande had one of sorts.

celedhring

Plus getting in a few digs against an unpopular US president always goes down well in France, I suppose.

To be frank, the moment I saw that Marine would never win (I'm sure others saw it earlier, but after Trump and Brexit you couldn't be sure anymore), was when Trump backed her. French nationalism and cozying up to the US seem pretty antagonistic to me.  :hmm:

Valmy

I think the French are just happy to be allied with Germany and other continental Euros and becoming less and less dependent on the untrustworthy anglo-saxon nations. Threatening to peel the French away and tie them back to the US and Britain is not likely to over well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2017, 04:44:39 PM
To be frank, the moment I saw that Marine would never win (I'm sure others saw it earlier, but after Trump and Brexit you couldn't be sure anymore), was when Trump backed her. French nationalism and cozying up to the US seem pretty antagonistic to me.  :hmm:

I don't know that this kind of thinking works anymore.

See: Support for Russia, US.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Macron is officially a badass, IMHO.  Drove to the hoop, and dunked on Putin in his :face:

:frog: Fuck yeah

Zanza

First round of the elections for the lower house of parliament is on. At noon, turnout was lower than five years ago.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2017, 09:01:06 AM
First round of the elections for the lower house of parliament is on. At noon, turnout was lower than five years ago.

This is true, but lacks context. It's the lowest turnout ever.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 11, 2017, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2017, 09:01:06 AM

This is true, but lacks context. It's the lowest turnout ever.

Ok. What is the context then? If you were in favor of Macron then you would show up to vote for him. If you hated Macron you would show up to vote against him. If you don't show up at all what are you voting for?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

More than 50 % of abstention, the Fifth republic's record, not just after noon, means a not so great support for Macron after all, who was only elected thanks to the FN.
People here are also bored after one year of campaigning.
PS is nearly dead, LR is in dire straits, Mélenchon's islamo-bobo coalition is not doing great but could replace the PS, FN will not be repeating presidential scores.

celedhring

It seems a bit much to schedule one general election just a few weeks after a presidential one. Is that a common ocurrence in France?

Duque de Bragança

Legislative elections after the presidential elections is the rule since Sarkozy. Previously, it was the other way.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 12, 2017, 03:01:03 AM
Legislative elections after the presidential elections is the rule since Sarkozy. Previously, it was the other way.

Why not just do it on the same day? Especially with two rounds for each, no wonder voters get tired of it.

Duque de Bragança

I have been thinking about it  lately, but it's a political tradition, one that is really hard to get rid of it.
This is not even mentioned in the public debate, so good luck implementing it.

PS: elections that will go the way of the dodo will be the primary elections. That's why the campaign started so early.

mongers

Is this more of a political earthquake than our general election result*?

* Perhaps best described as a bloody nose inflicted on an arrogant politician.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"