And we're back!

Main Menu

Élection présidentielle française

Started by Zanza, April 23, 2017, 04:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2017, 11:58:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Well it is a relief but not exactly a victory. Macron is in a very difficult position. I certainly do not envy him.

It is more like we survived to fight again another day.

We?

Whatever. People roughly politically aligned with the post-Cold War liberal order.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 08, 2017, 12:04:32 AM
I think the more important distinction is how one gets his money than how he spends it.

Gotcha.  So Timmy and Tamas are globalists because they work overseas?  And I'm a globalist because I work for a British company in the US?  And Billy Bob is a globalist because he assembles Mercedes in Kentucky?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

I consider myself a globalist because I support globalisation and free trade. 

Josquius

This fuss about globalisation is an amazing piece of misdirection.
I don't have the numbers to hand but Britain today manufacturers as many cars as when the car industry was at its peak as an employer.
Automation has massively reduced the amount of people needed for this however.

People always forget the customer creation side of globalisation too.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2017, 01:43:18 AM
This fuss about globalisation is an amazing piece of misdirection.
I don't have the numbers to hand but Britain today manufacturers as many cars as when the car industry was at its peak as an employer.
Automation has massively reduced the amount of people needed for this however.

People always forget the customer creation side of globalisation too.

My bet is that automation kills at least as many jobs as globalisation, if not more.  But the thing is, it is really hard to argue against technological progress.  There are no good reasons to stop others from using computers, tablets, the internet, and robots etc.  But globalisation can be interpreted as a policy choice, a conspiracy theory that benefits the few at the expense of the many.  It is both an effective target, and a useful tool of blackmail.  As in, if the haves aren't willing to share more of their wealth, the have-nots will kill globalisation via the electoral process.  That's one of the few ways that the have-nots can make lives worse for the haves, and that's the lever they'll push. 

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2017, 06:00:20 PM
Who the fuck are the globalists?  I see this word used a lot by FSB trolls and Alex Jones types, but I could never commit to killing my brain cells to find out more about them.

Jews.

That's what I think of every time I hear globalist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

This is unfolding quite humorously. Not just the Internet trolls in tears but official accounts of farage, leave.eu and others.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2017, 05:45:14 AM
This is undoing quite humorously. Not just the Internet trolls in tears but official accounts of farage, leave.eu and others.

Reddit The_Donald is also melting down.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on May 08, 2017, 12:52:55 AM

I'm a big proponent of free trade but I do not consider myself a globalist.  To me, globalism implies things like unlimited immigration and world governance-- not just free trade.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2017, 08:18:52 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 08, 2017, 12:52:55 AM

I'm a big proponent of free trade but I do not consider myself a globalist.  To me, globalism implies things like unlimited immigration and world governance-- not just free trade.

Yet World Governance has weakened since 'globalization' has taken place though hasn't it? The United Nations has only gotten weaker and more irrelevant in the past few decades. As far as unlimited immigration globalization encourages economic development and lower birth rates abroad so actually reduces the pressure for immigration as indeed we are seeing dramatically in Mexico.

Globalization is, in my mind, an economic phenomenon. Sure some political things are of course required for free trade to work, of course, but those are negotiated between nations not through the UN or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Lol , "World Governance".  Foil, thy name is tin.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Well it is a relief but not exactly a victory. Macron is in a very difficult position. I certainly do not envy him.

It is more like we survived to fight again another day.

You may be onto something:

Highest number ever of blank and null votes: 12% of cast votes. Highest abstention for a run-off: 25,3%
:whistle:

http://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2017/05/07/presidentielle-un-record-de-bulletins-blancs-et-nuls_5123805_4355770.html

Valmy

I am more surprised that does not happen more often given the way those elections are structured but yes I saw your post earlier.

France may yet get the centrally controlled five year plans and ethnic cleansing some its people desire.