News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Republican Fun - "You don't pay me!"

Started by garbon, April 13, 2017, 08:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Agree with Tonto. 

If you and the other 500,000 people that split his salary can agree on something, then you can start talking.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2017, 05:21:28 PM
Agree with Tonto. 

If you and the other 500,000 people that split his salary can agree on something, then you can start talking.

That sounds ridiculous. You can't claim a politician owe you something unless you've taken a poll and know that the majority has your back?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2017, 05:32:59 PM
That sounds ridiculous. You can't claim a politician owe you something unless you've taken a poll and know that the majority has your back?

"Owes you something?"

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2017, 05:21:28 PM
Agree with Tonto. 

And you have proof they don't? My views are so righteous and true that I can safely assume they do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2017, 06:31:22 PM
My views are so righteous and true that I can safely assume they do.

You don't get it, poors; Yi is one of those "dollars = free speech" cockfucks, and guess what?  You ain't got enough dollars.  Biyotch.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2017, 05:20:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 13, 2017, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2017, 08:19:07 AM

QuoteGOP rep: 'Bullcrap' to say taxpayers pay my salary

The whole "I pay your salary!" line is usually bullcrap anyway. 

For politicians, it is typically said to try and get them to do what YOU want...or what you perceive the majority of your fellow constituents want (whether that is true or not).

With cops, it is typically to get out of a ticket.  Or to have them stop beating you for no good reason. 

:hmm:

By the by, yes it was said by people at his town hall claiming that he wasn't representing them in Washington. :o

And that is totally fair.  And the point of town halls.  It is just that usually, the "I pay your salary!" line is an immature appeal that the politician should answer to YOU personally.  The politician should certainly take your views into account, as well as all of those that send in feedback, while also being conscious  of the fact that he also represents a substantial number of folks who likely don't bother to attend town halls, either out of apathy, or those feel that said politician adequately represents their views and have nothing to say.

They're really both in the wrong.  Both the "I pay your salary" user, and the "no you don't!" response.  The best response for a politician in these cases, no matter how addressed, is to thank the appealer for their input, say that they will consider it along with their own view (after all, the representative was elected for some perceived expertise/opinion, not just to puppet the loudest constituent), and remind them that there are lots of views offered, and not just at that town hall. 

Valmy

Um yes we were critiquing his reply Tonitrus.

QuoteThe best response for a politician in these cases, no matter how addressed, is to thank the appealer for their input, say that they will consider it along with their own view (after all, the representative was elected for some perceived expertise/opinion, not just to puppet the loudest constituent), and remind them that there are lots of views offered, and not just at that town hall.

Ok? What was arguing against something like that? He was saying that they didn't pay his salary because he was rich. Which is entirely besides the point. It is not like if he actually needed the salary he should respond differently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2017, 07:27:33 PM

That's fine...I am critiquing both.  The reply was stupid, and the appeal that prompted it at least equally so.

They deserve each other.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 13, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2017, 07:27:33 PM

That's fine...I am critiquing both.  The reply was stupid, and the appeal that prompted it at least equally so.

They deserve each other.  :)

As far as dumb things the general public says it barely registers. Having a legislator be equal to the lowest common denominator is something else.