News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What should I do tonight?

Started by Barrister, March 30, 2017, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Habbaku on March 30, 2017, 03:58:53 PM
Great idea, Meri.  I play at my local shop once a week and we're always eager to invite new people.  I'm sure that Albertans are even more welcoming, being Canadians and all.

I used to go to one of those places back in the 90s. They had tables for Warhammer and Battletech in the back room. It was across the street from Spring HS in Houston, and lots of kids would come in and get crushed. Fun times.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

I played in a TT Blood Bowl tournament at a local (Portland) game shop a couple of weekends ago.  I had been inside the shop once or twice just poking around and had seen that they had a bunch of tables for gaming but hadn't really paid any attention to the gaming scene there.  It is a pretty cool place.

Besides all of the gaming tables for all ages there is also a bar area in the back that serves beer (some cider, don't think there was wine or hard booze), and upstairs in the bar area is an upper game room which is where our tourney was held.  The event went from 10AM to close to 10PM on Saturday (4 games, and then another 2 games on Sunday) and the downstairs bar area was pretty busy that evening with quite a few attractive gals there playing games, and not all in a 1-on-1 setting.  There was 1 group of 4 gals and 2 guys that were there most of the night playing games and partying it up.  They had all kinds of opened and used games that you could just grab and play there, and some sort of board game selection flow chart that I didn't get a chance to way attention to but I will have to check it out next time I'm there.

It was a pretty cool scene, and unexpected for me for some reason, for a Saturday night in downtown Portland.  It's way too far from home for me for just a hang out spot but definitely on my radar for the future.

Ed Anger

I miss having a local gaming store. Going in and being forced out almost immediately by their body odor and farts.

Good times
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2017, 07:20:36 PM
I miss having a local gaming store. Going in and being forced out almost immediately by their body odor and farts.

Good times

It's like that sci-fi movie from a few years ago, A Sound of Thunder, where you travel back in time to see future diabetics drinking straight from 2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: sbr on March 30, 2017, 06:53:36 PM
I played in a TT Blood Bowl tournament at a local (Portland) game shop a couple of weekends ago.  I had been inside the shop once or twice just poking around and had seen that they had a bunch of tables for gaming but hadn't really paid any attention to the gaming scene there.  It is a pretty cool place.

Besides all of the gaming tables for all ages there is also a bar area in the back that serves beer (some cider, don't think there was wine or hard booze), and upstairs in the bar area is an upper game room which is where our tourney was held.  The event went from 10AM to close to 10PM on Saturday (4 games, and then another 2 games on Sunday) and the downstairs bar area was pretty busy that evening with quite a few attractive gals there playing games, and not all in a 1-on-1 setting.  There was 1 group of 4 gals and 2 guys that were there most of the night playing games and partying it up.  They had all kinds of opened and used games that you could just grab and play there, and some sort of board game selection flow chart that I didn't get a chance to way attention to but I will have to check it out next time I'm there.

It was a pretty cool scene, and unexpected for me for some reason, for a Saturday night in downtown Portland.  It's way too far from home for me for just a hang out spot but definitely on my radar for the future.

Huh. That place looks pretty neat.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

So I really didn't do anything exciting tonight. :homestar:

I did some laundry that needed doing, I cleaned up the dishes in the kitchen after cooking some pyrogies and sausage, then I played stupid Stardew Valley for a bit before going to bed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2017, 11:30:49 PM

I did some laundry that needed doing, I cleaned up the dishes in the kitchen after cooking some pyrogies and sausage, then I played stupid Stardew Valley for a bit before going to bed.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Its what I would have done too. Having one night off every six months or so is useless for social purposes, better to chill and catch up with things. But I do get some longer breaks each year where some partying takes place, what you need BB is a 72-hour pass to go somewhere or other for a (slightly) wild weekend  :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2017, 01:45:52 AM
Its what I would have done too. Having one night off every six months or so is useless for social purposes, better to chill and catch up with things. But I do get some longer breaks each year where some partying takes place, what you need BB is a 72-hour pass to go somewhere or other for a (slightly) wild weekend  :cool:

You need to get your butt over to North America again.  I could probably swing a weekend out of town for a mild weekend.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Its getting the time off. I could put together a great holiday in Canada (have relatives there as well as friends) but would want a fortnight  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 01, 2017, 12:30:17 AM
Its getting the time off. I could put together a great holiday in Canada (have relatives there as well as friends) but would want a fortnight  :huh:

Especially if you choose to handtruck all the way across.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2017, 11:30:49 PM

Excitement is overrated.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?