News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When is political violence justified?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2017, 05:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 24, 2017, 09:12:31 PM
It's Mono. His entire political philosophy is based on his own personal sense of comfort.

The Dao of La-Z-Boy

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2017, 09:32:02 PM
It's Mono. His entire political philosophy is based on his own personal sense of comfort.

The Dao of La-Z-Boy

Mono always seemed more of a Confucius fan. What with the whole meritocracy and heirarchy thing he had going on.

:punk:
https://youtu.be/0N_RO-jL-90
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 21, 1974, 07:55:39 PMA successful servile war would have produced immense improvements in the South, and it was the duty of every human being to support it.

Yes, with proper application and a little luck, they might have improved to the level of Haiti.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 24, 2017, 10:09:04 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 21, 1974, 07:55:39 PMA successful servile war would have produced immense improvements in the South, and it was the duty of every human being to support it.

Yes, with proper application and a little luck, they might have improved to the level of Haiti.

Haiti itself would have improved if there'd been a political constituency in the US that had opposed the extraction of extortionate debt payments. Oh, the world that might have been.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 08:29:06 PM
So when you said 'political violence is never justified' did you mean for everybody or just yourself?

Everybody except the state  :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2017, 10:23:08 PM
So when you said 'political violence is never justified' did you mean for everybody or just yourself?

Really? So if the state is doing something bad you propose a mass exodus? Interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2017, 10:23:08 PM

That's not a British attitude.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 24, 2017, 10:11:35 PM
Haiti itself would have improved if there'd been a political constituency in the US that had opposed the extraction of extortionate debt payments. Oh, the world that might have been.

Haiti didn't have to accept that deal. But in any case it was not like the country was just going great before they took that on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Political violence is justified when it lets you take power successfully.

Oexmelin

The Dao of La-Z-Boy

Or perhaps Lao-Zi Boy ?
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 24, 2017, 11:22:14 PM

The Dao of La-Z-Boy

Or perhaps Lao-Zi Boy ?

You are wise in the ways of the Far Least.

Jacob

Pretty sure that Confucianism recognizes the legitimacy of political violence against the state in specific circumstances - i.e. when the state is unjust or illegitemate. Don't pin Mono's moral cowardice on Laozi.

Zanza

Germans have a constitutional right to "resist" (same word that is used to describe Stauffenberg's attempt to kill Hitler) everybody who tries to abolish our constitutional order if there is no peaceful way. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 10:55:03 PM

Really? So if the state is doing something bad you propose a mass exodus? Interesting.

People have migrated for millennia.  I didn't invent the concept  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 24, 2017, 11:42:38 PM
Pretty sure that Confucianism recognizes the legitimacy of political violence against the state in specific circumstances - i.e. when the state is unjust or illegitemate.
we all recognize that.  it's the part about unjust or illegitemate that we don't agree on.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.