Massachusetts sues U.S. over gay marriage rights

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2009, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. What say you lawtalkers, does the suit have a chance?

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE56768520090708
QuoteMassachusetts sues U.S. over gay marriage rights
Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:50pm EDT

By Jason Szep

BOSTON (Reuters) - Massachusetts' attorney general filed a lawsuit on Wednesday against the U.S. government that seeks federal marriage benefits for about 16,000 gay and lesbian couples who have legally wed in Massachusetts.

The state is challenging the constitutionality of the federal 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, saying the law denies "essential rights and protections" to same-sex couples who have married since Massachusetts became the first state in the nation to legalize gay weddings in 2004.

The federal law interferes with the state's "sovereign authority to define and regulate marriage," according to the suit filed in federal court in Boston. It calls the law "overreaching and discriminatory."

The suit is the latest skirmish over gay marriage in the U.S. federal court system after handful of political filmmakers led by a Democratic consultant crafted a gay rights challenge in May that they hope will reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

It also follows a separate lawsuit filed by a group of married gay couples in Massachusetts in March that also challenged the same portion of the Defense of Marriage Act that defines marriage as a legal union between a man and a woman.

Although Massachusetts and five other U.S. states have authorized gay marriage, same-sex couples who are legally married in those states cannot access the federal protections and programs granted to straight married couples.

The Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, denies gay and lesbian couples access to more than 1,000 federal programs and legal protections, gay rights advocates say.

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, who filed the suit, cited several benefits denied gay couples, including federal income tax credits, employment and retirement benefits, health insurance coverage, and Social Security payments.

"We view all married persons equally," Coakley told a news conference.

Before 1996, states had the right to define marital status under state sovereignty, the suit said. Massachusetts wants the right to "define marriage within its own boundaries," it added, noting that this would not affect other states.

"In enacting DOMA, Congress overstepped its authority, undermined states' efforts to recognize marriages between same-sex couples, and codified an animus toward gay and lesbian people," the state's 32-page complaint said.

Forty-two U.S. states have laws explicitly prohibiting such marriages, including 29 with constitutional amendments restricting marriage to one man and one woman, according to the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights advocacy group.

(Editing by Eric Walsh)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

WTF the gay thread is off the first page?? Marty is shirking his responsibility.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 08, 2009, 03:17:47 PM
WTF the gay thread is off the first page?? Marty is shirking his responsibility.
:yes: I now question his sexuality.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on July 08, 2009, 03:19:48 PM
:yes: I now question his sexuality.  :mad:

And he was just a couple of days away from convincing me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

My Legal Note! I was gonna write about what Massachussetts v. EPA does to DOMA!

Admiral Yi

I guess they didn't listen to Barney Frank's suggestion.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 03:36:55 PM

What was his again? Have a prostitute stay over?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 03:36:55 PM

Barney Frank is full of shit.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Marti has to get his marching orders from those gay websites and podcasts. Without guidance, he is totally useless as he is a trendwhore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Elaborate.
He said not to take it to the Supreme Court "while that homophobe Scalia is still there."

DontSayBanana

The annoying thing is that all it would take is revising 1 USC 7 from this:

QuoteIn determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word "marriage" means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.

...to this:

QuoteIn determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word "marriage" means only a legal union between two spousal partners, and the word "spouse" refers only to a party of a legally binding marital contract.

...or similar.

All this ruckus is over one sentence which would never pass the test of the fourteenth amendment, anyway.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Elaborate.
He said not to take it to the Supreme Court "while that homophobe Scalia is still there."

Well, Scalia deserves to be shot, and not just for his homophobia. He is the worst SCOTUS judge in decades.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 08, 2009, 04:00:14 PM
All this ruckus is over one sentence which would never pass the test of the fourteenth amendment, anyway.
Which one's the 14th?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 04:17:19 PM
Which one's the 14th?

Equal protections. Also, it's shaky on the 10th; the government leaves marriage to the states because it's not under the umbrella of the federal mandates, so (my guess is that) the federal government should identify the state marital status and approve or deny benefits based on that; even if DOMA is legal, it should only apply to DC residents who have no state government or residents of other US territories.
Experience bij!