News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2017

Started by derspiess, March 10, 2017, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Unless I missed it, we didn't have a 2016-2017 NCAA basketball thread.  It's a shame, and in a small way I feel as if I am partly to blame.  Anyway, regular season is over, and we are deep into conference tournaments.  The Big Dance begins next week.

It seems like the Madness has already begun, with some of the strange storylines:

-Michigan's plane rolling off the runway, forcing them to use the Pistons (?) charter to get to the Big 10 tourney, and them having to play in their practice jerseys since their luggage was stuck on the wrecked plane. Didn't seem to faze them any.

-Kansas and Baylor both getting knocked out early in the Big 12 tournament.  If WVU loses, you're going to have a 4, 6, or 8 seed win it.

-Xavier, K State, and TCU seem to have put themselves on the right side of the bubble with big upset wins. 

-Probably something interesting in the Pac12 but I haven't watched.

-Boeheim gets owned by the City of Greensboro Twitter account: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696857-city-of-greensboro-twitter-account-fires-back-at-syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim (that account happens to be run by a childhood friend of mine)

-Northern Kentucky University gets into the Dance by winning the Horizon League tournament.  They recently moved up to Division I from Division II and this was their first year of tournament eligibility.  The Cincinnati area stands likely to send 3 teams to the NCAA tournament for the first time evah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Just started looking at the brackets, and already see some weird stuff:  Minnesota (24-9, 4th in B10) is a five-seed.  Wisconsin, 25-8, second in B10) is an eight seed. To make it even wackier, Wisconsin crushed Minnesota at home and also beat them on the road.  Maybe they gave Minnie the higher seed to make up for being the worse team?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Is someone gonna make a group?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

The wailing and gnashing of teeth going on in Central New York with Syracuse missing the tournament is amusing. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

There was some bitching last night that the winner of the Arizona-Oregon game should get the #1 seed in the West over the Zags.

I can't see that really. While of course Gonzaga has a crapload of wins against bad teams, they also have wins against very good teams, and if the debate is over whether Arizona is the #5 overall (and hence #2 in the West) with Gonzaga be the presumed #4 overall, or the other way around...well, it would seem that either way, they are are going to be #1/2 in the West.

That being the case, I would actually rather have the #2 seed. If for no other reason than I think Gonzaha being slighted for the #1 seed by Arizona, who they beat earlier in the year, would give them a huge chip if and when these two teams have a re-match with a trip to the Final Four on the line.

I think Arizona, overall, has a pretty good bracket. Getting out of SLC should be no particular issue. There are some decent teams in Orlando though. If Maryland starts playing like first half Maryland instead of last third Maryland, they could be very tough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2017, 07:31:15 PM
There was some bitching last night that the winner of the Arizona-Oregon game should get the #1 seed in the West over the Zags.

I can't see that really. While of course Gonzaga has a crapload of wins against bad teams, they also have wins against very good teams, and if the debate is over whether Arizona is the #5 overall (and hence #2 in the West) with Gonzaga be the presumed #4 overall, or the other way around...well, it would seem that either way, they are are going to be #1/2 in the West.

That being the case, I would actually rather have the #2 seed. If for no other reason than I think Gonzaha being slighted for the #1 seed by Arizona, who they beat earlier in the year, would give them a huge chip if and when these two teams have a re-match with a trip to the Final Four on the line.

I think Arizona, overall, has a pretty good bracket. Getting out of SLC should be no particular issue. There are some decent teams in Orlando though. If Maryland starts playing like first half Maryland instead of last third Maryland, they could be very tough.

I agree.  I really like Arizona this year.  They are my pick to win that region.   Hopefully I haven't tainted them  :D

I don't really understand all the hype around UCLA.  Have you seen the way their "star" shoots the ball.  :x

derspiess

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2017, 07:31:15 PM

I agree.  I really like Arizona this year.  They are my pick to win that region.   Hopefully I haven't tainted them  :D

I don't really understand all the hype around UCLA.  Have you seen the way their "star" shoots the ball.  :x

I am so fucking sick of hearing about UCLA and Ball. It strikes me as this completely manufactured hype machine.

It is UCLA, so they have a good team and some good players, but they are third in the Pac-12 when the Pac-12 isn't having a particularly great year. They have pretty good offense, and generally terrible defense. They are not going anywhere.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I made my Yahoo Bracket.

#1 seeds get out of each conference. Michigan, on a mission, makes a big push.

UCLA sucks, fuck UCLA.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: PDH on March 12, 2017, 10:13:36 PM
Katmai
Sorry i'm in Nome with shitty internet and covering the Iditarod race.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Well, since katmai is apparently distracted by work :rolleyes: I figured I'd throw up a desperation three and create a new group:

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/185340/invitation?key=2a648e66dc5c2924&soc_trk=lnk

password: jaron

Ed Anger

Half the players are Russian
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive