Computer issue--are you guys still smart?

Started by Ideologue, July 08, 2009, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Hey, dudes.

I've developed a severely annoying computer issue lately, possibly related to screwing around with my dual monitor setup.  Applications with "floating windows"--like Photoshop--have become unusable due to the windows simply not appearing anywhere on either display.  The specific problem arose with the fill tool window under the edit menu in Photoshop.  I've noticed it also, and more critically, in the three-window setup my printer/scanner thing's scanning application uses.  The master control panel and preview widnows appear, but the scan control window no longer shows up anywhere.

Once the fill tool is chosen in PS and the scanning options window is chosen in my scanning application, the program is effectively frozen, since the cancel button is on the window itself, and as it does not appear, I can only close the program, and then only via the task manager.

I'm having difficulty even finding the right search terms to look for a fix for this.  "Disappearing window" seemed to have some merit, but the fixes (using the move option) doesn't work as the applications don't respond whatsoever once the options are chosen and the tool windows putatively brought up.

Even uninstall, deletion of registry keys, and fresh install didn't work with PS.  I'm not very sanguine about the possibilities of it working with my scanner.

It's truly annoying.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Nevermind, then.  I fixed it through the time-honored method of fucking with things.  See you around, old friends.  :hug:

Still got to get an HoI3 game out of you guys. :bowler:
Kinemalogue

Caliga

You're too much of a noob to be messing with dual monitors. ^_^

Seriously, I won't even configure that, and I could (and should) at work.

Obvious question: what happens when you switch back to single monitor mode?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

The mere act of me beginning to draft a reply transferred the necessary knowledge to you. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on July 08, 2009, 12:14:29 PM

Obvious question: what happens when you switch back to single monitor mode?

Oh, I tried that, and it did nothing.  Something about the settings was putting the windows outside the active area.

QuoteThe mere act of me beginning to draft a reply transferred the necessary knowledge to you.

I got a mental image of tits and knew what must be done.
Kinemalogue

Caliga

:hug: Check back in with us more often, bitch.  :mad:

Grey Fox

Hi.

Caliga : It never works again effectively destroying your computer. Once you go dual you never go back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2009, 12:03:02 PM
You're a national trasure, Tim.
If you're going to spell it phonetically you need to stick a Y in there.

Siege

Oh, so you only come to languish when you need something.

I see how it is.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

fhdz

I don't know what I would *do* without dual monitors at work.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on July 08, 2009, 02:27:56 PM

I don't know what I would *do* without dual monitors at work.

You would find one somewhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Meh, if it comes to it I'll just order a huge widescreen.