And we're back!

Main Menu

The Beginning of the Next Financial Crisis

Started by The Minsky Moment, March 02, 2017, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

It began February 28, 2017

https://www.ft.com/content/441be482-fdcb-11e6-8d8e-a5e3738f9ae4

QuoteJPMorgan Chase's chief financial officer has appealed for relief from the slew of new regulations imposed on US banks, saying that "the time feels right" to start relaxing rules put in place after the global financial crisis. . .Now, she said, the financial system was stable enough to relax some defences, potentially returning more capital to shareholders through higher dividends and share buybacks

The financial system is never stable.  The moment credit conditions improve enough to give the impression of stability is the very moment when instability begins to mount.  Banks relax standards, push for growth, and take on more marginal business.  Regulators begin to relax, or are forced by their political master to relax, and the public loses interest in regulations.  The process feeds on itself until the Minsky Moment is reached and then collapse.

In 2009 we learned the lesson learned many times before - that capital regulation either has to be consistent across the cycle or even counter-cyclical.  I.e. it is when credit conditions seem good and stable that capital control should be strongest.  But every other time the lesson was forgotten.  This time is no different.  We didn't learn.  We never do.  The next crisis is going to come and the only question is when.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

If they at least kill the Durban amendment I'll be happy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

She isn't really talking about Dodd-Frank generally.  She is talking specifically about capital requirements, and in particular the US implementation of the Basel capital standards, including meaningful stress testing by the Fed.  That's where the rubber hits the road.  Reduce that capital buffer and weaken incentives to mind the store, and increase the risks of moral hazard.  That was the one truly bipartisan conclusion to come out of the last crisis with both left and right-leaning economists pushing for stronger capital regulation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

We haven't had a major food borne illness problem in a while, I guess it's time to relax food safety regulations.
Bridges hardly ever collapse, it's a waste to inspect them.

Admiral Yi

What you are lacking Joan is any discussion of optimality.  Capital requirements could be increased infinitely to reduce the risk of insolvency, but that doesn't make it a desirable policy.

CountDeMoney

I hope you all lose your retirements, and your kids have to suck cock for college money.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2017, 05:17:41 PM
What you are lacking Joan is any discussion of optimality.  Capital requirements could be increased infinitely to reduce the risk of insolvency, but that doesn't make it a desirable policy.

The literature suggests that even the "gold-plated" Basel requirements are still too low. 

I recognize that proposition can be debated, although I think the con side would have a tough time of it.

But the JPM CFO wasn't saying - capital requirements are too high as a matter of policy optimality.  She was saying they can and should be lowered because conditions had improved and become for "stable".  I.e. she is arguing for pro-cyclical capital regulation.  And that IMO is not a defensible policy position, other than from the POV of the JPM board room.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2017, 06:52:19 PM
honestly, we deserve it.

Raz is right.

Raz can put this quote in his sig forever now. :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 02, 2017, 04:40:32 PM

In 2009 we learned the lesson learned many times before - that capital regulation either has to be consistent across the cycle or even counter-cyclical.  I.e. it is when credit conditions seem good and stable that capital control should be strongest.  But every other time the lesson was forgotten.  This time is no different.  We didn't learn.  We never do.  The next crisis is going to come and the only question is when.

I don't think we learned and forgot;  we never learned in the first place.  Right after the collapse, I quit my job, and during the 2 weeks I was out of work, I had no problem getting an car loan.  I thought that they were crazy to even consider me, but heck, they practically physically restrained me to keep me there and talk me into signing for it.

Admiral Yi

Car loans are soft because they can repo easily.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2017, 05:29:05 PM
I hope you all lose your retirements, and your kids have to suck cock for college money.

:yes:
Experience bij!