Japan zoo kills 57 snow monkeys due to 'alien genes', prays for their souls

Started by jimmy olsen, March 01, 2017, 07:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This is stupid, if the genes they were carrying were benificial let them spread, if they're not natural selection will fix the problem.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39040907
QuoteJapan zoo kills 57 snow monkeys due to 'alien genes'

21 February 2017

A zoo in northern Japan has culled 57 of its snow monkeys by lethal injection after discovering they carried the genes of an "invasive alien species".

Takagoyama Nature Zoo in Chiba said DNA testing showed the monkeys had been crossbred with the rhesus macaque.

The non-indigenous rhesus macaque is banned under Japanese law.

A local official said they had to be killed to protect the native environment.

The zoo's operator held a memorial service for the snow monkeys' souls at a nearby Buddhist temple.

Japanese macaques, commonly known as snow monkeys, are native to Japan and are one of the country's major tourist attractions.

Japan prohibits the possession and transport of invasive species, including crossbreeds.

An official from the Office for Alien Species Management, part of the country's environment ministry, told local media that the culling was unavoidable because there were fears they might escape and reproduce in the wild.

Junkichi Mima, a spokesman for conservation group WWF Japan told AFP news agency that invasive species cause problems "because they get mixed in with indigenous animals and threaten the natural environment and ecosystem".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe non-indigenous rhesus macaque is banned under Japanese law.

Odd, since that is probably the most popular of all the non-human primates used in research.  Or do that Japanese not use NHPs at all in scientific research?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2017, 08:58:51 PM

Odd, since that is probably the most popular of all the non-human primates used in research.  Or do that Japanese not use NHPs at all in scientific research?

What kind of understated reaction is this! Who are you and what have you done with CountDeMoney?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2017, 09:03:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2017, 08:58:51 PM

What kind of understated reaction is this! Who are you and what have you done with CountDeMoney?

The Japanese are a homogeneous society, so this is not surprising.  Squee. Mew.

Ed Anger

I'm sure the monkeys were ground into a fine powder and sold in China for....*spins wheel*....

Breast enhancement.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney