0 (0%)
Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2017, 11:42:28 AM
Also, it's not like Australians don't eat steaks and an Australian steak house is some crazy unheard of thing. 

E:  Here's one: http://www.outbackjacks.com.au/menu/ 

There's a crocodile on the ceiling.

It's interesting to me that the first thing you see on their web site is a half rack of ribs.  That suggests to me this is not exactly home style Australian cooking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 01, 2017, 11:45:12 AM
Hey, I take Yi's side here.  It's worth pondering why all of a sudden it seemed necessary to rebranding a huge chain based on a vague national stereotype to get Americans eating at the same Sizzlers they'd been going to for years.

Because the people that had been going to Sizzlers for years were fucking dying from old age.  I don't know about you, but I do not recall a time in my youth when we went to Sizzlers without a grandparent.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 11:52:13 AM
It's interesting to me that the first thing you see on their web site is a half rack of ribs.  That suggests to me this is not exactly home style Australian cooking.

Yeah, the first photo on there should be Vegemite on bread.

sbr

Hey, I take Yi's side here.  It's worth pondering why all of a sudden it seemed necessary to rebranding a huge chain based on a vague national stereotype to get Americans eating at the same Sizzlers they'd been going to for years.

Outback is better than Sizzler.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2017, 11:52:58 AM

Because the people that had been going to Sizzlers for years were fucking dying from old age.  I don't know about you, but I do not recall a time in my youth when we went to Sizzlers without a grandparent.

Ditto.  And when I go eat reasonably priced steak I wanna see boomerangs & shit.  None of that boring Sizzler decor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Forgot to add, for those who have never been to an Outback-- one of their fun gimmicks is that they serve dark wheat (?) bread stabbed with a knife:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 12:30:00 PM
Ditto.  And when I go eat reasonably priced steak I wanna see boomerangs & shit.  None of that boring Sizzler decor.

:D

Anyone know if the Outback people invented the onion ring bouquet, or did they rip it off?  Definitely a very cool idea.

derspiess

Pretty healthy, too :P

If you eat the whole thing with the dressing (not that any human would), that will give you your day's worth of calories.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 12:43:51 PM
Pretty healthy, too :P

If you eat the whole thing with the dressing (not that any human would), that will give you your day's worth of calories.

:lol:  I'd probably have a heart attack just watching someone else do that.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 12:30:00 PM

:D

Anyone know if the Outback people invented the onion ring bouquet, or did they rip it off?  Definitely a very cool idea.

They claim to have invented it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Okay, so when should we start explaining to foreigners what Buca di Beppo is?

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 12:54:38 PM

Never heard of it, but what's to explain?  Italian-American restaurants are a well known phenomenon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 12:54:38 PM

Completely different thing.  Virtually every country in the world takes foreign food and tweaks it for local tastes.

celedhring

I went once to Bucca di Beppo. Was as close to "Italian American" as I could imagine without involving mob clichés.

The Larch

Over here in my neck of the woods steakhouses and grills, if they do have a theme, it's Argentinian/Uruguayan, but that's mostly because they're run by people from there. Not a single US themed steakhouse that I'm aware (although we do have a diner style chain with burgers, milkshakes and waitresses in bright pink and blue 50s uniforms).