0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2017, 12:00:11 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 28, 2017, 11:27:57 PM
Anecdote warning!!

I've never worked in a restaurant in China.

I have worked in many restaurants in the US, including at least one high end steak house, and an improperly cooked steak going out would be a big deal.

Most often iy is a misunderstanding about what the terms mean to different people.

I am not talking about steakhouses. There I expect excellence.

But your Applebees, or whatever, might fuck it up a bit.

:lol:

Everything is fucked at Applebee's.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 03:18:59 AM

It really is.  I haven't set foot in an Applebee's since the GF's mother got food poisoning twice from the steak.  It's overpriced, oversalted, undercooked, underflavored, and every drink from the bar to the soda fountain is so watered down it's disgusting.  The only chain worse, IMO, is TGI Fridays.  Famous Dave's also had a massive salt issue when I tried it, but I haven't been back to see if that was a one-off.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 01, 2017, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 03:18:59 AM

It really is.  I haven't set foot in an Applebee's since the GF's mother got food poisoning twice from the steak.  It's overpriced, oversalted, undercooked, underflavored, and every drink from the bar to the soda fountain is so watered down it's disgusting.  The only chain worse, IMO, is TGI Fridays.  Famous Dave's also had a massive salt issue when I tried it, but I haven't been back to see if that was a one-off.

:yes:

If one is going out to a restaurant in that same 'quality/price' bracket, one's choice should never be Applebee's.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I actually rather like the Outback in Rochester. I've been consistently pleased with the quality of their food and its preparation and service.

It isn't up to a real steakhouse standards, of course, but I can feed my family of 4 for about $60, and get very good steak properly prepared. I can only feed myself for that amount at a real steakhouse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I, like BB, like medium but I aim for medium-rare so I have some leeway when cooking.

I rarely have steaks in restaurants.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

The Outback within walking distance of my house does a decent job on steaks.  Actually it seems like the cheaper the cut, the better job they do on it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 09:59:01 AM
The Outback within walking distance of my house does a decent job on steaks.  Actually it seems like the cheaper the cut, the better job they do on it. 

That's an easy one: they do more of the cheaper cuts. Practice makes perfect.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

I've never understood the point of an Australian themed steak house.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:06:48 AM
I've never understood the point of an Australian themed steak house.

The point is it sells.

One time in a previous job we had a liaison from an Australian company come visit our site.  First place we took him was Outback, just to see his reaction.  Thought he was gonna swallow his tongue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Are there kangaroo statues? Waiters dressed like Crocodile Dundee? I hope so.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:17:41 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:09:12 AM
The point is it sells.

That begs the question. 

I can't fully answer, but ever since Crocodile Dundee Americans have just loved that over the top kitschy faux-Australian theme.

crazy canuck

I can understand an Aussie theme if that is where they are sourcing their beef.  But why would a US restaurant do that?  I suppose an Australian theme seems exotic or at least more exotic than Texas?

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 10:18:38 AM
Are there kangaroo statues? Waiters dressed like Crocodile Dundee? I hope so.

No, just the decoration is all "Australian outback" themed, and the menu is full of annoying stereotypical Australian jargon. OMG BONZER

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2017, 10:22:01 AM
I can understand an Aussie theme if that is where they are sourcing their beef.  But why would a US restaurant do that?  I suppose an Australian theme seems exotic or at least more exotic than Texas?

Pretty much.  There's no shortage of Texas-themed steakhouse chains.