Michelle Williams, in Wendy & Lucy
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 22, 2009, 07:45:21 PM

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2009, 10:11:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2009, 12:59:49 AM
Have heard of those movies but not seen any of them, because no one I know wanted to see them, too.
Ditto

Take that Syt!! :P

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on July 08, 2009, 10:32:32 AM
Anyway I'm surprised Mme Streep wasn't mentioned for her role in "Doubt".  :mad:
Dreadful film.  Oscar baiting middle brow artiness :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 10:58:24 AM
Whether a movie is good or bad has little to do with whether I'll enjoy watching it. A lot of the movies I've enjoyed have been objectively bad.

I would have guessed that.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2009, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 10:58:24 AM
Whether a movie is good or bad has little to do with whether I'll enjoy watching it. A lot of the movies I've enjoyed have been objectively bad.

I would have guessed that.
I just saying you shouldn't act like "did you enjoy the movie" and "was the movie good" are the same question, they're not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 11:52:34 AM
I just saying you shouldn't act like "did you enjoy the movie" and "was the movie good" are the same question, they're not.

Again, I would have guessed you would give that kind of answer.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2009, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 10:51:09 AM
Why do you ask?

Just trying to assess what you might consider good quality since you dont agree with the standards set by Oscar.
It just seems that these days that they've figured out the formula for winning.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 12:19:00 PM
[/quote]

I agree.  Its a lot like Wine.  If you like wines that dont conform to the consensus taste you have to look a bit harder to find what you like.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2009, 11:49:26 AM
Anyway I'm surprised Mme Streep wasn't mentioned for her role in "Doubt".  :mad:
You are dead to me.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 12:19:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2009, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 10:51:09 AM
Why do you ask?

Just trying to assess what you might consider good quality since you dont agree with the standards set by Oscar.

And Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep are trying to collect as many as possible on that formula. Either of those two women being in a film is an automatic veto for me personally. They're good at what they do, but my personal distaste for them has reached the point where I'm not willing to give them a couple hours of my time anymore.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I've only seen The Reader and Changeling. I suppose Kate acted well but then the male lead was quite wooden in his role so anyone would have come out looking good.  Angelina was good in her role but without having seen the others, I'd be quite hesitant to say her performance was best.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
I've only seen The Reader and Changeling. I suppose Kate acted well but then the male lead was quite wooden in his role so anyone would have come out looking good.  Angelina was good in her role but without having seen the others, I'd be quite hesitant to say her performance was best.
That isn't the internet way!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 03:49:08 PM
That isn't the internet way!

If I voted Angelina, I'd be rightfully told that I did so simply because I have a crush on her. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habsburg

Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 10:40:53 AM

I agree. Never heard of those movies except for The Reader, which I was told it was anti-semitic.

Dude no.  And don't listen to whomever told you that ever again.
The Reader deals with many things, however the primary theme is collective German guilt for the Holocaust.

Habsburg

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2009, 11:49:26 AM

Which is why she, nor anyone from Doubt (save the awesome Viola Davis) received HABSY nominations.  Thank you.

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on July 08, 2009, 04:27:11 PM
The Reader deals with many things, however the primary theme is collective German guilt for the Holocaust.

The primary theme is the plausibility of being so embarrassed that one is illiterate that one decides to jail Jews and then take the fall for ordering them to be killed.