Iranians protest murder of Egyptian by Russian-born man in German court

Started by Syt, July 12, 2009, 12:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Iran hardliners protest German killing of Egyptian

QuoteTEHRAN (Reuters) - A group of hardline Iranians gathered in front of the German embassy in Tehran on Saturday to protest against the murder of an Egyptian woman inside a German courtroom, a Reuters witness said.

Marwa El-Sherbiny, 31, mother of a 3-year-old and three months pregnant, was stabbed 18 times by the man she was testifying against during a July 1 appeal hearing in Dresden, German prosecutors said.

Her killer also stabbed her husband, who German police then mistook for the attacker and shot in the leg, prosecutors said.

"There were around 150 students and they threw eggs at the main gate of the German embassy," said the witness. "The students chanted 'Death to Germany' and 'Death to Europe'" the witness added.

German prosecutors said the killer, a German of Russian origin, was appealing against a conviction for insulting Sherbiny by calling her an "Islamist," "terrorist" and "slut" when she asked him to make space for her son to go on the swings at a playground in Dresden.

Sherbiny's murder has incensed public opinion and the media in Iran, where hundreds of worshippers condemned the crime at Friday prayers, and state media called her a "martyr" of Islamic values.

Iran summoned German ambassador to Iran Herbert Honsowitz on Friday to protest against the murder, urging Berlin to do more to protect the rights of religious minorities in Germany.

Sherbiny's body was flown to Cairo and her funeral took place on Monday. Her murder angered public opinion and the media in Egypt too

Iranians pelt eggs at German embassy over murder

QuoteTEHRAN (AFP) — Around 150 Islamist students pelted the German embassy in Tehran with eggs on Saturday to protest the murder of a pregnant Egyptian woman in a Dresden courtroom, an AFP photographer reported.

Marwa al-Sherbini was stabbed at least 18 times in front of her husband and three-year-old son on July 1 by a Russian-born German man who has since been charged with her murder.

The Iranian students chanted "Death to Germany! Death to Europe!" as they wrote "Angela, the Nazi" on a sidewall of the embassy, referring to German chancellor Angela Merkel, the photographer said.

On Friday, Iran had summoned Herbert Honsowitz, Berlin's ambassador to Tehran, and protested against the murder and urged Berlin to step up efforts to protect the rights of the minorities there.

Muslim groups have dubbed Sherbini's death as the "veil murder" and her killing drew thousands of mourners at her funeral Monday in Alexandria, Egypt.

Sherbini's husband, geneticist Elwi Ali Okaz, is in a critical condition in a hospital after he too was stabbed by the assailant and also shot in the leg by confused police who took him for the attacker.

The unemployed 28-year-old attacker, identified only as Alex W., was in court appealing against an earlier conviction and fine for calling Sherbini a "terrorist" for wearing the Islamic headscarf during a dispute.

The director of the ultra-conservative Kayhan newspaper has meanwhile called on Muslims to carry out the "revolutionary death penalty" against Sherbini's murderer in an editorial published Saturday.

"God willing this will be implemented by Muslims even inside the Dresden prison," Hossein Shariatmadari wrote. He also called on Muslim nations to expel German ambassadors from their countries

Yes, because the obvious lack of courtroom security was an obvious machination by the German state to incite th perp to kill the woman.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, hundreds of people have come together in Dresden to mourn the slain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2009, 12:56:27 AM
Yes, because the obvious lack of courtroom security was an obvious machination by the German state to incite th perp to kill the woman.  :rolleyes:
We could have jack-booted security guys in brown shirts in our court rooms. I am sure that would make foreigners and religious minorities feel much safer.  :P

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2009, 01:08:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2009, 12:56:27 AM
We could have jack-booted security guys in brown shirts in our court rooms. I am sure that would make foreigners and religious minorities feel much safer.  :P

:P

I don't believe in making the world crazy proof against any possible threat from people snapping, but I would trust that in a court of law there'd be a bit more security. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2009, 01:11:59 AM
I don't believe in making the world crazy proof against any possible threat from people snapping, but I would trust that in a court of law there'd be a bit more security. ;)
It was just a run-of-the-mill insult case. I am sure there are dozens such cases everyday. Nothing pointed to him going crazy and murdering her. Maybe we could have more of these metal detectors in courts, but even that can't be added to every court there is at a reasonable cost.

By the way, it must be really boring in Iran if students have nothing better to do than throwing eggs at the German embassy. That's probably what you get with restrictive laws on alcohol and chasing tail.

Syt

But he was Russian-born- How many more hints to possible mad violence do you need?? ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteMarwa El-Sherbiny, 31, mother of a 3-year-old and three months pregnant, was stabbed 18 times by the man she was testifying against during a July 1 appeal hearing in Dresden, German prosecutors said.

Her killer also stabbed her husband, who German police then mistook for the attacker and shot in the leg, prosecutors said.

If I'm ever on trial, I'd want it to be in Germany. I bet I could escape, gunning down anyone in my way, and the police would mistake some darkie for me and shoot him instead.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Warspite

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2009, 01:20:20 AM
By the way, it must be really boring in Iran if students have nothing better to do than throwing eggs at the German embassy. That's probably what you get with restrictive laws on alcohol and chasing tail.

Rent-a-mob
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Siege

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 12, 2009, 01:54:07 AM
QuoteMarwa El-Sherbiny, 31, mother of a 3-year-old and three months pregnant, was stabbed 18 times by the man she was testifying against during a July 1 appeal hearing in Dresden, German prosecutors said.

If I'm ever on trial, I'd want it to be in Germany. I bet I could escape, gunning down anyone in my way, and the police would mistake some darkie for me and shoot him instead.

Hahaha, that was what caught my eye as well.

You beat me to it.

German police seems to be as bad as the local deputies at Macon county, down south in Georgia.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Anyway, this should teach a lesson to all muslims to stop trying to use our democratic justice systems to sue white people.

Not that russians count as whiteys, of course.

Siege

Quote from: Warspite on July 12, 2009, 05:07:35 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2009, 01:20:20 AM

Rent-a-mob

I doubt there was money involved.

More likely, the threat of punishment was what got the job done.

Zanza

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2009, 05:19:54 AM
Anyway, this should teach a lesson to all muslims to stop trying to use our democratic justice systems to sue white people.
You really understood what rule of law is all about.

Siege

Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2009, 05:27:21 AM

I'm an smart cookie. 
Monkey see, monkey do. Yankee do, monkey see.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on July 12, 2009, 05:37:27 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 12, 2009, 05:27:21 AM

I'm an smart cookie. 
Monkey see, monkey do. Yankee do, monkey see.

This post made me laugh.