Game over, man. Game over! Bill Paxton dead at 61

Started by grumbler, February 26, 2017, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/26/bill-paxton-dead-dies/

Complications from heart surgery.

Sad that a man who survived being killed by a Terminator, an Alien, and a Predator can't survive getting killed by a surgical complication.  :(

RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

This one bums me out more than most celebrity deaths. :(

I actually met him once, back in 1991 or 1992 when I was in college.  A few of us were hanging around and one friend who was almost always full of shit said he was related to Bill Paxton, actually none of us knew his name he said he was related to Chet from Weird Science, and that he was in town filming a movie.  None of us believed him and called him out so he made a phone call and an hour later Bill Paxton was knocking on the door.  He didn't spend much time there, less than an hour for sure, but he was very cool and made an impression on all of us as just a normal dude. 

I have always followed his career since that day and was very glad to see his career take off and for him to become a serious star.

RIP

grumbler

Something that always kinda surprised me was that I generally didn't recognize Paxton in his various roles, even though his voice was fairly distinctive.  Which is to say, when I saw him for the first time in a role, I didn't think "hey, it's Private Hudson" like I initially think about, say, Leonardo di Caprio as his Titanic character.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

RIP

He was also in a New Wave duo, Martini Ranch.  Look up "Reach" on Youtube for a sample of their sound.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2017, 04:29:13 PM
RIP

He was also in a New Wave duo, Martini Ranch.  Look up "Reach" on Youtube for a sample of their sound.

I thought for about the first 100 seconds that that was one of RichRod's mock movie trailers.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on February 26, 2017, 01:37:08 PM
Chet from Weird Science,

One of the greatest roles of all time.   :lol:  Paxton may not be up there with DeNiro, but he is definitely ensconced as a permanent pop culture icon.

Part of an interview with Conan in 1998, discussing a lot of his early movies and how his father was the inspiration for so many of his great lines through the years.
https://youtu.be/toss0ODFfts

There's another, more recent interview about his dad, but I can't remember who it was with.  RIP

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 05:12:28 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2017, 04:29:13 PM
RIP

I thought for about the first 100 seconds that that was one of RichRod's mock movie trailers.

A lot of interesting cameos in that one  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

He was robbed of a supporting Oscar for the fully realized, menacing street punk in Terminator.  The unspoken fears of a generation were brought to the screen in that role.