News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who ate all the pies

Started by Josquius, February 22, 2017, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/sports/soccer/wayne-shaw-sutton-soccer-pie.html?_r=0

QuoteAn English soccer player who enjoyed a meat pie on the sideline during a game was forced to resign on Tuesday after his meal spurred a formal investigation into gambling. The strange tale involves a Cinderella team, a bookmaker eager for publicity and, most important, a portly, middle-aged goalkeeper with a taste for meat and potatoes.

When Sutton United, a small team from the fifth tier of English soccer, met mighty Arsenal in an F.A. Cup fifth-round match on Monday, there was naturally a lot of attention on the game. One of the Sutton players who was singled out for pregame press was Wayne Shaw, as much for his girth as for his talent.

His own team referred to him as the Roly Poly Goalie. He is 46 years old, 6-foot-2 and somewhere around 322 pounds, or 23 stone as the British papers usually put it. Mostly a coach, caretaker and community liaison for the small-time team, he was also its backup goalkeeper.

As a teenager, he played for the professional club Southampton and was on the same team as the soccer legend-turned-BBC broadcaster Alan Shearer. "I actually followed my dreams to the Premier League, and he followed his to the burger van, I think," Shearer said in the pregame BBC coverage of Monday's match.

Bookmakers rushed to provide betting opportunities on the high-profile nationally televised game. In its eagerness to stand out in the competitive industry, the lesser-known company Sun Bets offered lighthearted, but very real, odds of 8-1 that Shaw would eat a pie on the sideline during the match. It was great for a laugh.

Then Shaw actually ate one.

In the 83rd minute of the match, which Arsenal won, 2-0, Shaw, who was not playing, was caught on camera dining on a meat and potato pie on the sideline.

Afterward, he guilelessly confessed that he knew about the bet and had eaten the pie because of it. "I said: 'I don't know. I have eaten nothing all day. So I might give it a go later on,' " he told The Daily Mail.

Shaw said he had not profited from his pie, but knew that others had. "Obviously, we are not allowed to bet," he said, but he acknowledged that "I think a few of the mates and a few of the fans" had.

"You can look back and say it was part of it, and we got our ticket money back," he said.

The trouble is, his dinner could be considered what is called "spot fixing." Most sports-betting scandals around the world these days do not involve throwing an entire game. That requires too many participants and is too easily noted.

Instead, fixers take advantage of the many side bets offered by bookies and arrange for a player to do something small that they can nonetheless bet on: Take a throw-in at a certain time, bogey a specific hole or bowl a cricket ball a certain way.

No one is saying Shaw's act was motivated by a criminal betting syndicate, but his manager, Paul Doswell, told reporters, "I don't think it shows us in the best light."

"He has got himself in the papers again, and the fame obviously has gone to his head a little bit, but we will soon bring him back down to earth, don't worry about that," said the club chairman, Bruce Elliott, on Radio 5 Live.

On Tuesday, Shaw was forced to resign from the club after the Football Association's gambling commission said it would investigate if consumption of the pie was a breach of betting regulations.

"It's a very, very sad end," Doswell said, adding the club was "very disappointed in how we were portrayed."

Sutton's amazing run to the F.A. Cup round of 16 had been a feel-good story. But many fans felt the team's success had been tainted by the pie story.

"Integrity in sport is not a joke, and we have opened an investigation to establish exactly what happened," the Football Association's enforcement and intelligence director, Richard Watson, told the BBC.

Sun Bets seemed to enjoy the publicity, announcing that it had lost a five-figure sum on the bet and noting that Shaw "finishes his pie with glory."

COST US A BELLY FULL: We've paid out a five-figure sum after @WayneShaw70 finishes his pie with glory! #YouBetcha #FACup pic.twitter.com/XrBCL3psOZ

— Sun Bets (@SunBets) Feb. 20, 2017

Shaw himself, in the midst of his largely cheerful Twitter feed, declared, "It was a pasty, not pie."

A pretty strange case.
He knew the bet was there... and eating a pie is something he could choose to do or not. Surely to not eat the pie would be as much fixing as eating it?

What make you?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Already posted in fodbol megathread.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2017, 02:42:39 PM
Already posted in fodbol megathread.

Tyr's posting style has always had a pie in the sky quality to it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

mongers, did you take a lot of hallucinogenics in your youth?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2017, 02:29:44 PM
A pretty strange case.
He knew the bet was there... and eating a pie is something he could choose to do or not. Surely to not eat the pie would be as much fixing as eating it?

What make you?

I think the problem isn't that he knew about the bet and decided to eat the pie (or not to eat it) - it's that he let a few of his "mates" know he was going to eat it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

IMO the betting house set itself open for abuse and collusion, as the bet was a pretty silly one that could be influenced easily.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2017, 02:58:48 PM
IMO the betting house set itself open for abuse and collusion, as the bet was a pretty silly one that could be influenced easily.

yup

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 22, 2017, 02:54:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2017, 02:47:04 PM
mongers, did you take a lot of hallucinogenics in your youth?

:hmm:

Or is it a more recently picked up hobby?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

6'2 322lbs?  Er...that doesn't seem to be the...ideal size...for a goalie, backup or not.  Must be the Jared Lorenzen of the soccer world.

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 22, 2017, 03:08:14 PM
6'2 322lbs?  Er...that doesn't seem to be the...ideal size...for a goalie, backup or not.  Must be the Jared Lorenzen of the soccer world.

It's a fifth tier team.  He's mostly a coach and groundskeeper, but can dress as a goalie if absolutely necessary.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2017, 03:19:53 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 22, 2017, 03:08:14 PM

It's a fifth tier team.  He's mostly a coach and groundskeeper, but can dress as a goalie if absolutely necessary.

He was indeed the team's groundskeeper as well.

Admiral Yi

In a pinch he could serve as a tarp to keep the pitch dry.

frunk

In a pinch Katmai could use him as a hat.

Ed Anger

Katmai could be used as a retractable roof.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive