And we're back!

Main Menu

PewDiePie - troll, racist, both?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2017, 06:14:05 PM
You'll understand when you grow up.

I have to agree with the Brain on this. How is asking someone to take down a video "retroactive"?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2017, 06:15:28 PM

I have to agree with the Brain on this. How is asking someone to take down a video "retroactive"?
Because they had the (implicit) permission to create the video when they created the video.  To ask them to take it down years later is saying "nope, you didn't have the permission to create the video after all".

I guess the disagreement is that I view retroactive as to the time of content creation, whereas you view it as to the time of content viewing.  The problem that I see with your interpretation, if I got it right, is that in a sense you never own the content that you create, even if you originally had the permissions to create it.  Your content is always leased from the publisher, who can always terminate the lease for any reason and with no recourse on your part.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 14, 2017, 09:11:06 AM
Is Guller crazy enough to explain abstract concepts to dogs?  :hmm:

I give history lessons to cats.  Of course, those cats an not dogs, and cats need to know about the emperor Galba.  The cat is now well versed in the demarcation problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2017, 06:24:49 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 14, 2017, 09:11:06 AM
Is Guller crazy enough to explain abstract concepts to dogs?  :hmm:

I give history lessons to cats.  Of course, those cats an not dogs, and cats need to know about the emperor Galba.  The cat is now well versed in the demarcation problem.

Mewicus
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2017, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2017, 05:40:26 PM
I don't get the blurb. Where is the abuse? Also, makes sense if you want to not have your content associated with someone you think can be damaging to your brand.

That if you don't like them you for whatever reason you can potentially get their entire business shut down (which on the face of it seems potentially abusive to me), rather than simply stopping them from using your material specifically (which I think is completely reasonable).

Though that said - and playing off something the Brain said earlier - if you have substantial business interests in playthroughs, maybe moving forward it would behoove you to get some sort of agreement with the content owners that in the case of a disagreement you'll take down the content voluntarily without them resorting to a DCMA or whatever.

It'll be interesting to see where the industry settles after this.

Oh is the blurb about the YouTube policy? I agree that's a different issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2017, 06:24:23 PM
Because they had the (implicit) permission to create the video when they created the video.  To ask them to take it down years later is saying "nope, you didn't have the permission to create the video after all".

I guess the disagreement is that I view retroactive as to the time of content creation, whereas you view it as to the time of content viewing.  The problem that I see with your interpretation, if I got it right, is that in a sense you never own the content that you create, even if you originally had the permissions to create it.  Your content is always leased from the publisher, who can always terminate the lease for any reason and with no recourse on your part.

The authors don't need anyone's permission to make the video, and the video was made.  It still exists - there was no retroactive measure to go back in time and undo the making of it.

It is the further broadcast of the video that is being banned.  That's not retroactive at all.  All previous viewings of it still happened.

And, yes, bar fair use and contractual agreements, all use of copyrighted material is always at the discretion of the copyright holder.  That's what copyright means.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I don't see it. I guess we'll have to leave it at that.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Uhhh, no. No. No, that is not it at all.

The video is a thing, it exists, and it is, every day, creating value for the person who put it up, and part of that value is derived from the IP of the copyright holder.

They may have given permission to create the video, and they have given permission to allow people to watch the video, but that permission is completely at THEIR discretion.

They can withdraw it at any time they feel that it is no longer in their interests to allow it to continue, and at that point continuing to generate income at their (perceived) expense is a violation of their copyright.

This seems very simple to me.

If you get your way, then the IP owners will have no choice but to deny the use of their IP across the board.

Demanding that they either ALWAYS or NEVER grant that exclusion is not going to end with the ALWAYS choice.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Agree Berkut. It is like if you take an at will job. You quit your job, you incur expenses to relocate to the city in which the job is located, and then once you do so, they revoke the job offer. It is their right to do so, and you have no recourse against them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 15, 2017, 09:24:05 AM
Agree Berkut. It is like if you take an at will job. You quit your job, you incur expenses to relocate to the city in which the job is located, and then once you do so, they revoke the job offer. It is their right to do so, and you have no recourse against them.

:lmfao:  Except that it is not like that at all, Marti.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!