News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PewDiePie - troll, racist, both?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:30:36 PM

Look at Trump. He's committed pretty well every sin that exists, and if he's forgotten a few, it is only for lack of opportunity - yet many on the right don't appear to give a damn.

Things were different in the 80s and 90s. The right used to take that stuff very seriously. Heck they once even made Trent Lott resign from the leadership when he talked about how everybody should have voted Dixiecrat in 1948.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2017, 12:39:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 13, 2017, 11:47:18 AM
It is interesting.

I'd also add the popular manifestations of the fight against global warming. Nowadays you can add some extra funds to some purchases to make them "carbon neutral". That's exactly how indulgence papers worked.

Completely different.  Offsets do actually decrease carbon release somewhere in the world.  Indulgences just lined the pockets of the church.

:hug:

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2017, 01:43:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:30:36 PM

Look at Trump. He's committed pretty well every sin that exists, and if he's forgotten a few, it is only for lack of opportunity - yet many on the right don't appear to give a damn.

Things were different in the 80s and 90s. The right used to take that stuff very seriously. Heck they once even made Trent Lott resign from the leadership when he talked about how everybody should have voted Dixiecrat in 1948.

There just seems to be a huge degree of moral degeneration on the right in the US these days - and by that, I mean in their terms. It is like, for a sizable number of them, upright morality (as THEY define it, which is definitely not how I'd define it) just doesn't matter any more.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 13, 2017, 01:47:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2017, 12:39:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 13, 2017, 11:47:18 AM
It is interesting.

I'd also add the popular manifestations of the fight against global warming. Nowadays you can add some extra funds to some purchases to make them "carbon neutral". That's exactly how indulgence papers worked.

Completely different.  Offsets do actually decrease carbon release somewhere in the world.  Indulgences just lined the pockets of the church.

:hug:

Only two people would know this about indulgences: God and Satan. Which is Yi?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:51:07 PM
There just seems to be a huge degree of moral degeneration on the right in the US these days - and by that, I mean in their terms. It is like, for a sizable number of them, upright morality (as THEY define it, which is definitely not how I'd define it) just doesn't matter any more.

The justification seems to be that, yes we have our moral failings, but the Democrats are evil!

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on September 13, 2017, 01:57:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:51:07 PM

The justification seems to be that, yes we have our moral failings, but the Democrats are evil!

I think that's close to it.  Getting back to Trump-- he may be an unrepentent sinner, but at least he's staking out positions (publicly anyway) on the right side of the culture war.

Conversely, Bill Clinton was beloved by feminists and others on the left because of what was called his "public morality" (positions on abortion, etc.), in spite of the fact that he had harassed, took advantage of, and possibly raped women in his personal life.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2017, 02:14:59 PM

Conversely, Bill Clinton was beloved by feminists and others on the left because of what was called his "public morality" (positions on abortion, etc.), in spite of the fact that he had harassed, took advantage of, and possibly raped women in his personal life.

Boy is he not a popular man now though. But mostly for locking up all the black people and signing those evil free trade agreements.

And to be fair to the left the public did not really know how bad he was until after he had already been elected twice. We knew that about Trump years before he ever ran for office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:15:59 PM
I just think it is funny to see people who clearly don't believe in "sin" in other contexts, accept it in this.

It's a bit of a leap to go from making "a neat little observation" to claim that "the left" has accepted the idea of "sin" when it comes to the concept of racism.

I don't think "the left" has accepted it.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2017, 02:23:59 PM
Boy is he not a popular man now though. But mostly for locking up all the black people and signing those evil free trade agreements.

Is that widespread, though?  I'm sure he'd still do okay in opinion polls.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2017, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2017, 02:23:59 PM

Is that widespread, though?  I'm sure he'd still do okay in opinion polls.

Not sure actually. The leftists who hate the Clintons hate them for mostly those reasons and are rather vocal. But I have a feeling those are the sort of puritanical ones you are talking about anyway.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2017, 02:51:48 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 01:15:59 PM
I just think it is funny to see people who clearly don't believe in "sin" in other contexts, accept it in this.

It's a bit of a leap to go from making "a neat little observation" to claim that "the left" has accepted the idea of "sin" when it comes to the concept of racism.

I don't think "the left" has accepted it.

Fine, you are correct: some on the left merely act as if they have. It is "like" the treatment of sin, without actually being an acceptance of sin. 

The other point, though, was that the right - many of whom are supposed to actually believe in actual sin - have apparently given up any thought of it, when it comes to 'their' politicians.

I personally don't think that this comparison puts the left in a worse light than the right.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 13, 2017, 03:03:36 PM
Fine, you are correct: some on the left merely act as if they have. It is "like" the treatment of sin, without actually being an acceptance of sin. 

The other point, though, was that the right - many of whom are supposed to actually believe in actual sin - have apparently given up any thought of it, when it comes to 'their' politicians.

I personally don't think that this comparison puts the left in a worse light than the right.  :lol:

I am: mollified :hug:

... I think having lunch helped with that too.

Barrister

To be fair, those of the political right who believe in sin are almost certainly Christians.  And Christians believe in more about forgiveness than they do sin.

Not that Donald Trump for one ever claimed he needed to be forgiven for anything, but in other situations that might be a large part of the explanation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Sure they believe in forgiveness but only after you take responsibility for your actions...or at least that was supposed to be how it works.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2017, 03:22:57 PM

To be fair, those of the political right who believe in sin are almost certainly Christians.  And Christians believe in more about forgiveness than they do sin.

Not that Donald Trump for one ever claimed he needed to be forgiven for anything, but in other situations that might be a large part of the explanation.

we know very different Christians :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.