News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PewDiePie - troll, racist, both?

Started by Syt, February 16, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
Has anyone punched him yet?

Gawd you can make it hard to argue against beating up racists

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2017, 11:55:51 AM
How dat?

I think that Tamas is saying you're being a bit of a twat on the subject, which makes it hard for him to notionally be on the same side as you.

Eddie Teach

I'd rather hit pewdie than the pikeman fwiw.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
Has anyone punched him yet?

No, he stabbed himself and blamed it on anarchists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I'm surprised this doesn't fall under some sort of fair use thing. A video of someone playing a video game is copyright protected? How far does this go? Can Nike force people to take down videos because people were wearing their shoes in them? Can I be forced to take down a cell phone picture from inside a sporting event? What if it is a journalist reporting at a sports event, is that protected, and if so, could a video game reviewer be seen as performing some sort of journalistic function?

Something I never really saw coming was racist people becoming millionaires by letting others watch them play video games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on September 12, 2017, 12:35:21 PM
I'm surprised this doesn't fall under some sort of fair use thing. A video of someone playing a video game is copyright protected? How far does this go? Can Nike force people to take down videos because people were wearing their shoes in them? Can I be forced to take down a cell phone picture from inside a sporting event? What if it is a journalist reporting at a sports event, is that protected, and if so, could a video game reviewer be seen as performing some sort of journalistic function?

Something I never really saw coming was racist people becoming millionaires by letting others watch them play video games.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen the subject argued before. I think where it currently stands is that "let's play" videos don't fall under fair use because it shows the original content in its entirety (or close to), there's no substantial change to the original content, nor is there an overriding societal interest.

I'd expect that Mystery Science Theatre style shows where a movie is shown with commentary similarly doesn't fall under fair use.

From where I sit, there's a significant difference between a "let's play" and a journalist reporting a sports event. In a sports event, the journalist is usually admitted by the organizers anyhow. I'm pretty sure, f. ex., if you stood in the stands of the superbowl and live streamed the whole game via your cell phone with your comments, you'd be vulnerable to DCMA takedown requests as well.

Ancient Demon

It was unwise for PewDiePie to say what he did, but I still haven't seen any evidence that he's actually racist, rather than just insensitive. Also, the DMCA takedown request is spurious.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

The Brain

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 12, 2017, 01:36:12 PM
It was unwise for PewDiePie to say what he did, but I still haven't seen any evidence that he's actually racist, rather than just insensitive. Also, the DMCA takedown request is spurious.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 12, 2017, 01:36:12 PM

So what does qualify as racist? You have to admit his timing was rather bad :P

DMCA takedowns are par for the course these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Nobody knows since everybody is too scared to work it out in a trial. The precedent would be very damaging to the loser.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2017, 01:13:03 PM

I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen the subject argued before. I think where it currently stands is that "let's play" videos don't fall under fair use because it shows the original content in its entirety (or close to), there's no substantial change to the original content, nor is there an overriding societal interest.

I'd expect that Mystery Science Theatre style shows where a movie is shown with commentary similarly doesn't fall under fair use.

From where I sit, there's a significant difference between a "let's play" and a journalist reporting a sports event. In a sports event, the journalist is usually admitted by the organizers anyhow. I'm pretty sure, f. ex., if you stood in the stands of the superbowl and live streamed the whole game via your cell phone with your comments, you'd be vulnerable to DCMA takedown requests as well.

Key thing about fair use is that its a multiple factor test, there isn't much in the way of safe harbors.  It's also an affirmative defense on which defendant bears the burden of proof.

Jake pretty much has it - in the PewDiePie example if you apply the four factors - there is a use with an intent to commercially exploit, the underlying work is creative, substantial amounts of the work are being taken.  I suppose market effect is debatable.

Mystery Science Theater - my understanding is that they got licenses to the underlying material.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive