News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Look who's back!

Started by Syt, February 11, 2017, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-austria-hitler-idUSKBN15Q0HT?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=589f282204d3016659a1fae6&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

QuoteAustrian authorities seeking Hitler double seen around birthplace

Austrian authorities are investigating reports of a man appearing in public in Adolf Hitler's birthplace as the Nazi dictator's double, including the distinctive mustache, haircut and clothing.

"I have often seen this gentlemen in Braunau and wonder if this means something," the Oberoesterreichische Nachrichten paper cited a local resident as saying on his Facebook page alongside a picture of the man it said resembled Hitler.

Hitler was born in Braunau am Inn, then part of Austria-Hungary, in 1889.

Prosecutors confirmed the report.

The man, estimated to be 25 to 30 years old, was last seen in a local bookstore browsing through magazines about World War Two, adding he had identified himself in a local bar as "Harald Hitler.

On at least one occasion, he was photographed in front of the house where Hitler was born.

Austria's parliament voted in December to buy the three-storey house where Hitler was born, which the government has rented since 1972 to control how it is used.

Glorifying Hitler or the Nazis is a crime in Austria, which Nazi Germany annexed in 1938.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Has this man done anything wrong with regard to Austrian laws?

If it were America, I'd assume not and he's just going about freely and exercising his right to freedom of expression, be it as part of a comedy act, odd behaviour or him just being himself.

If done in the UK I'm less certain, I think he could come a cropper in relation to public order offences or causing distress to others and/or minorities.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2017, 03:26:32 PM

If it were America, I'd assume not and he's just going about freely and exercising his right to freedom of expression, be it as part of a comedy act, odd behaviour or him just being himself.

If done in the UK I'm less certain, I think he could come a cropper in relation to public order offences or causing distress to others and/or minorities.

That last sentence in article might be where authorities are thinking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2017, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2017, 03:26:32 PM

That last sentence in article might be where authorities are thinking.

But that would seem very tenuous, he's 'depicting' himself as hitler like, but not actively doing anything to promote or glorify Hitler or Nazism. Which might suggest he's well aware of the law and intentionally sailing close to the line and not crossing it.

I think it's quite likely he's a satirist rather than a run of the mill neo-nazi or someone mentally unbalanced. 

edit:

Perhaps in German they'd take a harder line, where even the depiction of the swastika is highly regulated.

Josquius

Did you read Look Who's Back,  Mongers?  :lol:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2017, 03:59:57 PM
Did you read Look Who's Back,  Mongers?  :lol:

:lol:

The browser I was using doesn't show most of the images posted on the forum, don't know why, I have to go home and use firefox to see them, so I've only just seen that.  :blush:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

He's ruining the good name of professional Hitler impersonators everywhere.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

Well, they found and arrested him.

Prosecutors will now see if charges will be pressed and whether kinda looking like Hitler is a violation about Austrian laws re: nazisma nd nazi symbols in public.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Though it probably doesn't help that he introduced himself to people as "Harald (Harry) Hitler."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

He could have at least shot himself to evade capture.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2017, 03:22:00 AM
Though it probably doesn't help that he introduced himself to people as "Harald (Harry) Hitler."

Yeah, that's gotta be against the law, doesn't it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

So what did the other members of the Hitler family have to do? Did everybody change their name to Schneider?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Hitler had two nephews who ended up changing their last names to Stuart-Houston (sp?) and lived on Long Island IIRC.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould