The Mammoth Cometh: NYT Magazine longread on bringing back extinct animals

Started by Queequeg, February 27, 2014, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

it seems cool to bring back a mammoth or whatever, but it wouldn't be. We have elephants after all. The coolness of carrier pigeons is diminished by the reality of having actual pigeons - pigeons hardy enough not to go extinct.

Had carrier pigeons not gone extinct, no one would go to the zoo to see them. Bringing them back would just be a novelty act.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

First of all elephants are cool. Second of all Canada doesn't have any and if we do this soon the Yukon will be covered with herds of mammoths.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2017, 07:43:53 PM
First of all elephants are cool. Second of all Canada doesn't have any and if we do this soon the Yukon will be covered with herds of mammoths.

Elephants are very cool. But I'd say two things:

-Current species are going extinct at an alarming pace because of habitat loss. Tossing in a new species is going to make that problem worse. You may just be trading an extinct species for an extant one.
-The species went extinct for a reason. Why would you think it could survive now?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

I am obviously kidding :P

The whole point to bring back species is for a later time when habitat is recovered. Once we 3-D print all of our food and abandon the farms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on February 17, 2017, 07:52:04 PM

-The species went extinct for a reason. Why would you think it could survive now?

Humans protecting them instead of hunting them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on February 19, 2017, 09:47:17 AM
Birds are dinosaurs. No need to bring back T-Rex. It's covered.
you got to admit, a velociraptor is way cooler than a turkey.  Well, the fake ones, at least.  The real ones might be on the smallish side of things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 17, 2017, 07:52:04 PM
Elephants are very cool. But I'd say two things:

-Current species are going extinct at an alarming pace because of habitat loss. Tossing in a new species is going to make that problem worse. You may just be trading an extinct species for an extant one.

Tossing in an old species might make the situation better. We don't know much about the ecological role of mammoths in boreal forests. Maybe they were doing something that was beneficial to the ecosystem as a whole, and bringing them back would actually help existing species.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

LaCroix

if the planet survived without them, then they aren't necessary. I doubt a lot of animals are necessary

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on February 20, 2017, 09:33:47 AM
if the planet survived without them, then they aren't necessary. I doubt a lot of animals are necessary

:huh:  Planets survive with no life at all.  Your assertion here is a vacuous truth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 20, 2017, 09:33:47 AM
the planet could survive without humans, ergo, we should do our best to kill all humans?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.