[Pea Sea] Der War in Der Yuroop demo ist bin released

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2009, 05:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteDecision Games has released a new demo version of War in Europe - Windows Edition. This demo is available for immediate download and features the first two months of Operation Barbarossa, including the first two Russian Production cycles (the previous Demo did not include production). True to its name -- this is a computer moderated simulation of the European Theater of Operations in World War II, based on the board game of the same name.

http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

QuoteFeatures
Battle on any of three different fronts - War In the West (2 player, Allies versus Axis), War In the East (2 player, Soviets versus Axis) and War In Europe (3 player, Axis versus Allies/Soviets).
# Game play consists of either scenarios or campaigns. Scenarios are shorter games focused on a single major offensive of WWII, for example, the 1940 German assault on France.  Campaigns start from a specified date and continue through May '45, or the defeat of one side. There are 10 scenarios and 16 campaigns from which to choose.
# The main display is a unique "tabbed map display" that allows each player to define and maintain his own set of multiple map views. Set up views of critical combat areas allow one-click switching between areas of interest; set different display overlays for each map view; center any map view on any named location or hex.
# Multiple map overlays available on any map view: show supply net, hex ownership, air range, unit ZOC.  Overlays can be toggled using hot keys.
# Support for any screen resolution (minimum resolution 1024x768).
# Playing time varies from less than an hour, for the introductory Poland '39 scenario, to 300+ hours for the full War In Europe 1939 campaign.
# PBEM is fully integrated into the program. You can easily manage multiple simultaneous PBEM games against different opponents. Enter an email address for each player, and the program will automatically send turns to them using your installed email program at the appropriate time.  When receiving turns from other players, drop the attached file into the program's "In Box" directory, and the file is automatically stored into the correct game directory.
# For PBEM games, a "browse mode" is available to allow you to load and review your own forces while you wait for an opponent to complete and return his turn.
# For PBEM games, full tracking of load/save actions is provided to detect "multiple restarting" of turns to avoid unfavorable die rolls.
# Support for color-blind players by allowing each user to specify customizable icons, allowing color-blind players to create personalized unit colors.
# Native support for any 32 bit Windows operating system. Support for other platforms (Mac and Linux) can be achieved via suitable windows emulation software.
# Multiple map tile sets are supplied to allow players to choose the style of map they want. Additional user-created map tile sets are fully supported: simply create the required bitmap and drop it into the game directory. The game will show the custom tile set as a selectable option when starting a new game.

Options
The game provides a host of options to allow experienced players to tailor an individual game to their preferences, and to enable reproduction of the various editions of the board game version (SPI era, DG reprint).
* Standard options include: Axis North African unit limits, Allied/US production, German personnel points, fog of war rules, variable weather; variable Allied combat strength during early war years; partial combat odds during combat resolution, and many more.
* New options have been added to address specific game play anomalies that 30 years of board game experience have brought up: Commonwealth unit limits in North Africa, and a Malta/Tobruk rule (Axis control of Malta opens up Tobruk as a major supply source).
* Attrition: A major new option that can dramatically affect play is the "attrition" model. When selected, all units in the game will gain and lose attrition according to their actions and supply state during the turn. Attrition levels can reduce both combat strength and movement. The net result is a different feel to the classic game, and for veteran players this option can force a serious rethink of otherwise 'tried and true' tactics and strategies. The various values and settings for the attrition option can be adjusted when starting any new game in order to allow players to experiment further with the rule and it's effects.

grumbler

Never could get into War in Europe.  The system was hotrrendous yet boring, and the production horrendous yet ridiculous (I don't think I ever saw a German build a non-motorized infantry divison except at the very start).  WiE was SPI's utimate expression of bland game design.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

See, Seedy, this is why we can't have nice things.

You'll by this game and keep it wrapped in plastic, not wanting to punch out the little electronic counters.

Yeah, even I am gonna rag your ass about that.

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2009, 07:18:40 PM
Never could get into War in Europe.  The system was hotrrendous yet boring, and the production horrendous yet ridiculous (I don't think I ever saw a German build a non-motorized infantry divison except at the very start).  WiE was SPI's utimate expression of bland game design.
But at the time I played it, ie a 16 year old, it was big and cool (8' by 8' maps) and therefore we HAD to play it.
I still have it, but you are bang on, it never even played close to realistic - those waves of SS panzers in 1941 kind of killed the realism...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ancient Demon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2009, 05:17:52 PM300+ hours for the full War In Europe 1939 campaign.

Bah, which one of us has time for a monster game these days?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.