News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So...Net Neutrality

Started by Valmy, January 30, 2017, 09:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:08 AMIt's already hard to stream 1080p content, I often have to wait 20 minutes or more before I start watching a movie. 

What kind of connection are you on?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:08 AMstupid forecast.  That's the problem with you guys, ignoring the future.  "640kb is all we'll ever need".

If you need it in a decade, you have to start implementing it now.  Otherwise in a decade, you'll have 56kbps speed in the countryside and 10gbs in the city.

Plan ahead, for once.

4k tvs are being sold right now.  They are the majority of the HD tv sales.  By next year, 1080p will be the very low ed models.  4k content is available on streaming, from Netflix and other providers.  It's already hard to stream 1080p content, I often have to wait 20 minutes or more before I start watching a movie.  If I were to require 4k content with HDR, I'd have to start the movie a day before.

the countryside won't have 56kbps speed

people don't need to buy 4k. though, I suspect internet speeds with or without net neutrality will allow for people to stream on 4k

Berkut

"people don't need to buy 4k"

Can we just stop responding to him now?

He is clearly just trolling every subject.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

:huh:

4k isn't coming next year or probably the year after that for most of america. I don't know anyone who plans on getting 4k, except a very niche crowd.

for example, if I want to play rainbow six siege on 4k and run it at 60fps or higher, I have to buy a pretty expensive computer. the current generation of consoles don't even run 4k. the whole 4k thing is such a meme at this point that it's still a few years away from being widely adopted as the new standard.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 10:09:17 AM
4k isn't coming next year or probably the year after that for most of america.

This is technology we are talking about. It moves very fast, often much faster than we think. And since when do public policy plans only need to consider projections for 'next year'? They have to take into account the situation 10 or 20 years from now. What is a novelty today may be the standard in a few months. It certainly has happened before.

But I don't know the extent the FCC is going to be making studies and projections and facilitating expansion of infrastructure to meet those projections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:08 AM
stupid forecast.  That's the problem with you guys, ignoring the future.  "640kb is all we'll ever need".

Well exactly. What if in 1996 decisions had been made that anything more than dial-up was a novelty and important long term decisions had been made based on that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2017, 09:21:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2017, 09:18:08 AMIt's already hard to stream 1080p content, I often have to wait 20 minutes or more before I start watching a movie. 

What kind of connection are you on?
30mbps down, 12 up at the very best.  I'm often way below that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Ok, yeah, that's bad for HD streaming.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 09:31:27 AM
the countryside won't have 56kbps speed
If I drive 10 minutes south of here, I'll meet people who have access only to these kind of speeds.  30 minutes south-east and they don't even have cell phone coverage.

Either they rely on a modem for upload and download, or they rely on a modem for upload and a satellite connection for download.  It's still a very slow connection.

Their only hope is the new provincial and federal program to subsidize high speed internet connection so that more providers will be interested in offering services in small communities.

Meanwhile, due to their high concentration in a very small area, people in the cities  can get 4k fiber optic cable and very high speed (100mpbs) internet connection.  But apparently, they don't need it.  So I guess all these 4k tv solds are for people who don't need it :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I can get 920mbps down.

Too much money tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Got 250 and it's plenty for now. Games of a few dozen GB still take a couple of minutes to download, though. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

LaCroix

viper, the canadian countryside must differ substantially from the American countryside

also, I've said this entire time 1gbps isn't needed. you just defined "very high speed" as 100mbps, a tenth of what I said  :huh:

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 02:47:35 PM
viper, the canadian countryside must differ substantially from the American countryside
from everything I read, not by much.

LaCroix