6 (17.6%)
As soon as Democrats regain control of the Senate
5 (14.7%)
Never
22 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: March 01, 2017, 09:38:24 AM

viper37

Lots of folks seems to think Trump will be impeached, but I doubt it very much.  Republicans are all too happy with the current situation.  They have their conservative agenda advancing, Obamacare is likely to be repealed, Trump looks like Pence's puppet (according to a NYT Op-Ed), taxes will be lowered for the very rich, and so on.

I think it's too much of a gamble for them to impeach Trump in the first 2 years.  If it happens, they'd likely prefer the Democrats to run the show and tag along saying he was an outsider and they hated him all along, if the polls are inclined toward this, and if they lost seats at the mid-term elections.

But I admit I don't follow the US that closely, don't really know who's really holding power in the Republican and Democrat parties.

So let's vote in general terms, and indicate in your post when you think it will happen.  The one closest to the real date it happens will be declared Languish King for a Day.  Why King?  Because I'm Canadian and I'm supposed to love monarchy :P

EDIT: if a mod wants to edit my poll to change the options, go ahead.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

If Trump is impeached, Pence will be President.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 10:55:07 AM

Is there anyone unaware of this?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

QuoteAs soon as Democrats regain control of the Senate
Never

Why'd you list Never twice? :huh:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2017, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 10:55:07 AM

Is there anyone unaware of this?

Not if Pence is impeached first. :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I think Republicans would prefer Pence in office than Trump.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

I think just about everyone would prefer Pence to Trump, except the die hard morons.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Never. He might lose in four years, but they'll not impeach him until then.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2017, 12:41:51 PM
I think just about everyone would prefer Pence to Trump, except the die hard morons.

"But then Pence would be President" makes me angry.  I was ultimately convinced that opposition to Trump wasn't some ideological test - instead that he was just uniquely unqualified for the office.

Anyone who says Pence would be equally as bad reveals themselves to be opposed to Trump not because of his personal characteristics (which are odious), but because they both have a little (R) beside their name.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Besides the twitter tirades would pence have done anything different from trump so far?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

"But then Pence would be President" makes me angry.  I was ultimately convinced that opposition to Trump wasn't some ideological test - instead that he was just uniquely unqualified for the office.

Anyone who says Pence would be equally as bad reveals themselves to be opposed to Trump not because of his personal characteristics (which are odious), but because they both have a little (R) beside their name.

the little r next to Pence makes you blind to all the ways he's just like Trump.

Zanza

So far Pence doesn't have a clear profile in government to me. I cannot see the restraining effect that some expected him to have on Trump. An example would be how he tweeted in 2015 that Trump's Muslim ban was unconstitional and immoral, but now just stood grinning next to Trump when he signed it into action. He was also the head of the transition team and considering the cabinet they picked, he didn't do a good job on that either or was ineffectual in convincing Trump to pick better secretaries. So either he is fully on board the Trump train or he is ineffective and just rubber-stamping Trump. Either way that does not suggest he would be a good president. And that's not even considering his own reactionary religious views on social questions.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PM

Pence is equally as bad because he is the puppet master right now.  It's a conservative republican agenda being pushed right now: isolationism, protectionism, anti-abortion laws (it's just the beginning, wait for the new judge), anti-muslim executive orders and soon an anti-gay agenda, fiscal exemptions&grants for oil producers, etc.

So long as Trump governs that way, he won't be impeached no matter what he does.  If he were to refuse some of Pence's ideas, he might be pushed out.

Who is Mike Pence
Mike Pence Pulls President Trump's Strings

I don't think Pence is has bad as Trump can be, because Pence is predictable, but it's not like the US would be in a great spot either with him in command.  Unless you think Iran or Saudi Arabia are model countries.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 30, 2017, 10:59:38 AM
QuoteAs soon as Democrats regain control of the Senate
Never

Why'd you list Never twice? :huh:
I thought the possibility of them regaining the House was nil, but they stood a chance at coming back at the Senate.