6 (17.6%)
As soon as Democrats regain control of the Senate
5 (14.7%)
Never
22 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: March 01, 2017, 09:38:24 AM

Eddie Teach

The new judge is replacing Scalia, they're still going to need Kennedy to sign off on any abortion restrictions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Quote from: Berkut on January 30, 2017, 12:41:51 PM
I think just about everyone would prefer Pence to Trump, except the die hard morons.

Well, that's like preferring to die of cancer in a year's time instead of being beaten to death with a chainsaw.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 01:02:57 PM
the little r next to Pence makes you blind to all the ways he's just like Trump.

Do tell.  Having family in Indiana, I have been hearing about Pence for years, without ever hearing about "all the ways he's just like Trump" other than having the (R) after his name on the ballot.   Do share with us this knowledge that you alone seem to have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 01:43:40 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 01:02:57 PM
the little r next to Pence makes you blind to all the ways he's just like Trump.

Do tell.  Having family in Indiana, I have been hearing about Pence for years, without ever hearing about "all the ways he's just like Trump" other than having the (R) after his name on the ballot.   Do share with us this knowledge that you alone seem to have.

Crazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 01:03:41 PM
So far Pence doesn't have a clear profile in government to me. I cannot see the restraining effect that some expected him to have on Trump. An example would be how he tweeted in 2015 that Trump's Muslim ban was unconstitional and immoral, but now just stood grinning next to Trump when he signed it into action. He was also the head of the transition team and considering the cabinet they picked, he didn't do a good job on that either or was ineffectual in convincing Trump to pick better secretaries. So either he is fully on board the Trump train or he is ineffective and just rubber-stamping Trump. Either way that does not suggest he would be a good president. And that's not even considering his own reactionary religious views on social questions.

If not being able to sway Trump disqualifies one for higher office, then Hillary would not make a good president, nor McCain, nor... well, everyone other then Steve Bannon.  is that really your argument;  that Steve Bannon is the person best-qualified to be president?

Pence's willingness to let his religious fundamentalism influence his policy-making is worrisome, but he has worked across the aisle on a number of issues, and is popular with more than fundamentalists.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

grumbler

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: viper37 on January 30, 2017, 01:11:29 PM

Pence is equally as bad because he is the puppet master right now.  It's a conservative republican agenda being pushed right now: isolationism, protectionism, anti-abortion laws (it's just the beginning, wait for the new judge), anti-muslim executive orders and soon an anti-gay agenda, fiscal exemptions&grants for oil producers, etc.

Isolationism hasn't really been a conservative Republican position since before WWII.  Protectionism--well, it's complicated, but there are both free traders and protectionists in both wings of both parties, and it's been that way for a long time.  Anti-Islamic bigotry certainly isn't a historical foundation of conservative Republicanism.  Fiscal exemptions and grants for oil producer, maybe, not sure exactly what you have in mind there, but it could be more cronyism or pork barrel politics than conservatism per se, or it could be an actual example of a traditional conservative pro-business approach.  An anti-abortion and, to a lesser extent, anti-gay agenda I'll agree is a typical conservative Republican stance.

Berkut

Pence is a terrible choice for any Republican, because his policies and ideals are Tea Party religious bullshit.

Trump is bad at an entirely different level. Trump is bad because of his character - his badness has little or nothing to do with his stance on policy - in fact, it is the other way around.

Trump would be just as terrible if he was a Democrat, or if his views on policy aligned exactly with my own for that matter - to the extent that is even possible for someone that terrible.

Pence? Pence would be one of the worst possible Republicans I can imagine (Cruz would be worse), and still light years better than Trump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on January 30, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
He wont

Yep. Impeaching him would require a Congress that is willing to assert leadership over national affairs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

My latest thinking is that the Congressmen are cowards for the most part, and won't ever pull the trigger.  Trump isn't just a lone fascist, he's a fascist enjoying fervent support from a pretty large block of fascist voters, and I don't see how Trump can discredit himself with those.  Trump also has a penchant for working himself out of a bind when it seems like he's weak and vulnerable.

CountDeMoney

Donald Trump is going nowhere.  And he hasn't even begun to get the ball rolling on his Enemies List.  Just wait until he starts siccing the FBI and IRS on people. 

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2017, 08:24:12 PM
My latest thinking is that the Congressmen are cowards for the most part, and won't ever pull the trigger.  Trump isn't just a lone fascist, he's a fascist enjoying fervent support from a pretty large block of fascist voters, and I don't see how Trump can discredit himself with those.  Trump also has a penchant for working himself out of a bind when it seems like he's weak and vulnerable.

Dammit DG, every country that you live in goes fascist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2017, 08:43:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2017, 08:24:12 PM

Dammit DG, every country that you live in goes fascist.
:blush: Thank you, but it's a team effort.