News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Yi Buy a Car

Started by Admiral Yi, January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2017, 10:47:08 PM
Do I save $995 and pretend to be a badass by getting manual, or concede defeat and go automatic?
I have a semi-automatic transmission.  At first, I missed the clutch and used the manual mode very often during summer.   Then I got headaches, stopped driving by myself for a while and the few times I drove, I drove like an old lady, very slow and on automatic.  So I don't miss it that much anymore.

but yeah, manual is great for all the reasons CdM invoked.  They may get tiresome when stopped in traffic though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2017, 11:46:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2017, 11:40:39 PM
Nah, I owned one briefly though, that was bad enough.

Mostly I just like Yi and don't want him to buy the most unreliable car made in America. He doesn't strike me as someone who can really not worry about vehicle reliability.

Ah, gotcha. :thumbsup:  I thought maybe it was a bad memory over some long ago pussy in college or something. 

Mine's a 2008 with 80K on it and with nothing more dramatic than brakes as a problem, so you must've just been a fucking asshole with yours.

Hey, I am not the one who rated it 29th out of 20 in reliability. Take your whining up with Consumer Reports.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2017, 11:57:11 PM
Hey, I am not the one who rated it 29th out of 20 in reliability. Take your whining up with Consumer Reports.

She was a Wildcat too, wasn't she. Hair flowing in the desert wind as she pulls it away from her face, smile bright enough to blind you. Feels like it was just yesterday, sitting in that Jeep in the Tucson sunset. I know, buddy. I know. :console:

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on January 28, 2017, 10:12:32 PM
this thread might help explain it, yi

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/59o2z5/you_are_never_going_to_pay_a_gift_tax/

I assume that is about Federal taxes, and there might be state gift taxes in some states?

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2017, 11:57:11 PM
Hey, I am not the one who rated it 29th out of 20 in reliability.
:o Holy shit that's unreliable.

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2017, 10:53:17 PMManual transmissions get better gas mileage, better acceleration
That was the case in the past, but with modern automatic transmissions that's not true anymore. You get better acceleration and gas mileage from a well programmed automatic.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 28, 2017, 10:43:20 PM
nah, it's talking about both.

QuoteSo take that down payment from your parents, no one is going to tax anyone on it.

That's not a conclusion nor a rule, that's an unsupported statement.

In general, I'd advise even students at South Dakota Community College, Law School, and Haberdashery not to take their tax advice from reddit.  I'd advise Yi the same.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

the whole post is an unsupported statement, grumbler. it's a reddit thread that doesn't contain citation. I had seen it a few months back and thought it might be helpful. your post doesn't refute what I said, that it does refer to both giver and receiver

sbr

Jesus people it's not that hard.  First everything in the opening post of that reddit thread is correct.

You can give/receive $14,000 a year and no one cares.  A married couple can give $28,000 if it is shared money.  A spouse can also receive another $28,000, so a married couple can give any other married couple $56,000 a year with no strings or questions.

If you go above the yearly limit the giver has to report it to the IRS, not as income but a gift.  This then comes out of your lifetime limit of $5.45 million (again doubled if joint property of a married couple, so mom and dad could give a kid $28k per year and then an additional $10.9 million without anyone ever paying any taxes on it.)  If it goes over that then the donor pays the taxes, though if they didn't for some reason the receiver could be liable.

As of Sept 2016 the only states with gift taxes were Connecticut and Minnesota.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-taxes

http://blog.taxact.com/gift-tax-do-i-have-to-pay-gift-tax-when-someone-gives-me-money/

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on January 29, 2017, 02:44:35 AM
That was the case in the past, but with modern automatic transmissions that's not true anymore. You get better acceleration and gas mileage from a well programmed automatic.
My 2008 Mercedes consumes roughly the same as my 1998 manual Camaro.  Acceleration is a word that must not exist in German, I guess. :P  Damn, I miss my old car in summer :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Whats a program car

Get a GMC Terrain. Cheap and as unreliable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2017, 10:23:00 PM
Whats a program car?

Dealership demo.  Sometimes the sales force gets to tool around in it for a few weeks or months of a new model year, or it's used as a loaner or demo for potential fleet customers.

Grey Fox

I see. Didn't know that was a thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on January 29, 2017, 11:35:54 AM
Jesus people it's not that hard.  First everything in the opening post of that reddit thread is correct.

You can give/receive $14,000 a year and no one cares.  A married couple can give $28,000 if it is shared money.  A spouse can also receive another $28,000, so a married couple can give any other married couple $56,000 a year with no strings or questions.

If you go above the yearly limit the giver has to report it to the IRS, not as income but a gift.  This then comes out of your lifetime limit of $5.45 million (again doubled if joint property of a married couple, so mom and dad could give a kid $28k per year and then an additional $10.9 million without anyone ever paying any taxes on it.)  If it goes over that then the donor pays the taxes, though if they didn't for some reason the receiver could be liable.

As of Sept 2016 the only states with gift taxes were Connecticut and Minnesota.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-taxes

http://blog.taxact.com/gift-tax-do-i-have-to-pay-gift-tax-when-someone-gives-me-money/

If my (and The Dark One's) reading is correct, the recipient has to pay income tax on any gift above $14K.  That contradicts the language of the reddit post.

alfred russel

Yi, I don't think that is correct, I think no one will pay any taxes ever. Unless your mom is loaded or you fuck up somehow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014