News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Yi Buy a Car

Started by Admiral Yi, January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My mom, who is in a hospice, wants to give me some money to buy a car.  I've bought exactly one car in my life and didn't do a great job.  What do I need to think about?  How should I go about it?

I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler, hopefully with a detachable roof *if* I can get some assurance it's not too fucking cold in the winter.  Need a car that can handle snow and ice.  I love the idea of program cars, those cars you take for test drives.  My mom's last two purchases were program cars and it seemed like the price reduction for car with 500 miles on it was fantastic.

My brother is pushing the idea of one of those online services that get nearby dealerships to bid.  TrueCar??

Should I wait for giant savings at the end of the model year?

Crazy_Ivan80

fleeing the country by car?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM
I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler, hopefully with a detachable roof *if* I can get some assurance it's not too fucking cold in the winter.  Need a car that can handle snow and ice.

As far as my hardtop goes, keeping a Jeep Wrangler warm in the winter isn't the problem (the heating system and vents are like afterburners), it's keeping it cool in the summer.  Not sure how a ragtop would do as far as the heat goes.

MadBurgerMaker

Softtop wasn't bad in the winter due to the hilariously good heating system Seedy mentioned.  The winters, of course, aren't bad here at all, but just aim a couple of those vents at yourself and you could probably go most of the year without a top on it at all. 

In the summers, which are bad here, it wasn't too hot with either top type on there (a/c worked fine and all that), but I needed a Spider Web Shade for when the top/front panels was/were off, since otherwise I'd roast in there.

E:  You can toast your fingers pretty good taking off a hard top after its been sitting out in the sun too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 26, 2017, 04:46:19 PM
E:  You can toast your fingers pretty good taking off a hard top after its been sitting out in the sun too.

Ain't that the truth.  Fuck.  All metal and no insulation.  And in the dead of summer, driving home at hottest point of the day?  With that hardtop, it's like driving a toaster oven.  :bleeding:

dps

I've never had a Jeep, but people I know who have had those with the detachable covers complained that it was hard to keep warm in 'em during the winter.  I would stay away from a Wrangler unless you're planning on doing some real off-roading, in which case it becomes one of the relatively few SUVs with true off-road ability.

Anyway, first step, figure out how much you're going to be able to spend.  How much is your mom giving you?  Is it going to be enough to pay cash for a decent program car, and if not and you have to just use it for the down payment, how much can you afford in monthly payments?  (And keep in mind that if you are going to make payments, you'll have to carry full coverage insurance instead of just liability, so your insurance premiums will be much higher.)

Then start thinking about features you want.  You want something that holds the road well in ice and snow?  OK, an SUV will work, but you don't have to stick to SUVs.  There are other all-wheel drive options, and a lot of front-wheel drive vehicles will do just fine.

Of course, there are a lot of other feature you'll want to consider.  2-door or 4-door?  Manual or automatic?  Etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about waiting till the end of the model year.  That used to be a good strategy, but it doesn't have as much impact anymore best as I can tell.

MadImmortalMan

Obviously, get a used FJ.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM
I'm leaning towards a Jeep Wrangler, hopefully with a detachable roof *if* I can get some assurance it's not too fucking cold in the winter. 
I've had detachable roof in most of my cars, and it's not too fucking cold in the Quebec winter, either GM cars or Mercedes.
So long as you avoid any German piece of crap assembled in the US, you should be ok.  Maybe Mercedes and BMW are good in Europe, but in NA, you'll spend more time on repairs than enjoying your car.

I don't know what the summers are like in Iowa, but after getting used to air conditionning, I couldn't live without it in my car.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Getting a 4x4 for winter is certainly not a bad idea, but I'd tend to stay away from a Wrangler.  It's not very good on gas, not very great on roads, and the soft-top has all the disadvantages that have already been mentioned.

Why not do like everyone else and get a nice cross-over?  Or just go out and buy a full 4x4 truck like a nice Tacoma?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

if yi doesn't drive often, he might not want a huge vehicle that has poor turn radius. I drove a truck once and it was OK, but I had my friend park it

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 05:13:34 PM
(And keep in mind that if you are going to make payments, you'll have to carry full coverage insurance instead of just liability, so your insurance premiums will be much higher.)

Very helpful info.  Thanks.

She wants me to liquidate her AT&T position worth 31K right now.  Since she's not dead now gift tax applies which my brother says the freebie is 14K a year but I'm supposed to research and doublecheck.

Beeb: Crossovers seem like such soccer mom cars to me.  I've never had a mid life crisis car.  I deserve one.

Admiral Yi

Is the Wrangler still flippy?

CountDeMoney

Lease trade ins are great deals--capped mileage for 3 years, and somebody else already ate the depreciation.  Never been unhappy with a lease trade-in.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 10:53:59 PM
Beeb: Crossovers seem like such soccer mom cars to me.  I've never had a mid life crisis car.  I deserve one.

May your first mid life crisis car be a masculine car. 

Probably plenty of BMW X5 lease turn-ins out there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 10:58:43 PM
Is the Wrangler still flippy?

It sits high, so it's possible.  the 4-door has a longer wheel base, so they're not as flippy or as rough a ride.  But the great thing is they're fun to drive, easy to park, and you don't have to worry about people banging their doors into it if you get running boards.

Could always go Cherokee.