Germany awards first post-WW2 medals for bravery to soldiers

Started by Syt, July 06, 2009, 11:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Spiegel: Germany Awards Military Cross of Courage

QuoteMany Germans prefer to think of their army, the Bundeswehr, as a defensive army that shuns combat. The position is hard to reconcile with a new military award that honors exceptionally courageous action in the field.

For the first time since World War II, Germany has officially honored the courage of its soldiers with a newly minted medal. On Monday, Chancellor Angela Merkel and Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung (both of the Christian Democratic Union) presented the award to four Bundeswehr sergeants who risked their lives to help wounded soldiers and children during a suicide attack in Afghanistan.

The medal -- a small golden cross that hangs on a black, red and yellow ribbon decorated with oak leaves -- has been the source of much controversy. While some see it as a long overdue means to honor outstanding military service and an expression of "positive patriotism," others warn of a revival of German militarism.

Jung justified the creation of a "cross of honor for bravery," which President Köhler agreed to in October of last year, with the heightened level of danger that Bundeswehr soldiers are exposed to abroad. The medal is the fifth and highest distinction in the Bundeswehr. According to the decree that created it, the new cross honors "exceptionally courageous deeds" that go beyond what is expected "within the framework of the performance of duty."

While the four other Bundeswehr distinctions are awarded to soldiers who have served more than four months abroad and demonstrated loyal service or fulfilled their duty in an exemplary way, the new award insists on extraordinary accomplishment.

For the 130 years leading up to 1945, exceptional courage in German military service was honored with the Iron Cross. The medal was abolished at the end of World War II, during which it was awarded roughly 2.6 million times -- 2.3 million Second Class Iron Crosses and 300,000 Frist Class Iron Crosses. For many, that medal has come to symbolise the atrocities of the Third Reich.

Last March, the chairman of the Bundeswehr's reserves, Reinhard Beck, proposed reinstating the Iron Cross, but the suggestion met loud opposition in parliament and among Jewish groups.

The four soldiers that were honored on Monday were witness to a suicide attack by Taliban militants on Oct. 20, 2008 southwest of Kunduz. Two German soldiers were killed and two wounded in the attack. Five Afghan children were killed, one injured. Although the German's armored vehicle was on fire and munitions were exploding, the four soldiers, aged 28 to 33, rushed to the scene to try to help.

At the presentation in the chancellery, Jung called the soldiers "models for their comrades in their dedication to justice and freedom." Merkel called the soldier's action "an incentive not only for their comrades, but for us all." She defended the creation of the new award, saying that Germany's soldiers deserve "more recognition" for their service.

The medal is part of a larger push by the governing CDU to raise the profile and public appreciation of the Bundeswehr. This fall, a memorial to honor Bundeswehr soldiers who have died in service will be inaugurated in Berlin. It will be the first of its kind in Germany's post-war history.

Since the Bundeswehr entered Afghanistan in 2002, 35 soldiers have been killed. Last October, Jung began referring to the casualties as the "fallen". The rhetorical subtlety reflects the need to generate more public support for the Afghanistan mission.

According to a recent survey by Forsa, 61 percent of Germans favour an immediate withdrawal of the Bundeswehr from Afghanistan, whereas in 2002, 62 percent stood behind the mandate.

Still a long way to go for the German military to reach "normality" again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I think recognizing that soldiers can be brave is setting a dangerous precedent.

The Brain

The Poles have kept Auschwitz in good working order for you. Just say the word.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Why does it have to be a cross?

Are germans that religious?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

I guess it's tradition these days. Besides, it's the Bundeswehr insignia.

TBH I can't remember if the belt buckles of our dress uniforms still said "God with us" or not. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

QuoteThe position is hard to reconcile with a new military award that honors exceptionally courageous action in the field.

How is being courageous hard to reconcile with being defensive and avoiding combat?

Do the Germans, incredibly, equate fighting defensively with being cowards?

QuoteAccording to a recent survey by Forsa, 61 percent of Germans favour an immediate withdrawal of the Bundeswehr from Afghanistan

Only 61%?  Wow I figured it was almost unanimous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2009, 12:07:13 PM
I guess it's tradition these days. Besides, it's the Bundeswehr insignia.

TBH I can't remember if the belt buckles of our dress uniforms still said "God with us" or not. :unsure:

Siege spammed at least two threads with "Are x that religious?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:08:10 PMHow is being courageous hard to reconcile with being defensive and avoiding combat?

Do the Germans, incredibly, equate fighting defensively with being cowards?

Most Germans would like to see their soldiers as a glorified version of the Technisches Hilfswerk (Federal Agency for Technical Relief), not as a fighting force. Having a medal for courage implies that combat might become a commonplace thing when joining the military.

I know it sounds crazy, but when Bundeswehr was gearing up for first major foreign deployments (in ex-Yugo) the first ones going there were structly volunteers. Even then there were serious consitutional doubts about deployment outside NATO territory. In fact, between 1990 and mid-90s there was a phase when Bundeswehr was pleasant employment ... the Red Menace was gone, and there was no mandate for doing anything else yet.

During the time there was a lengthy discussion about what the new job of Bundeswehr was, how they should be equipped, if the draft should be abolished, etc., and it's still going on today.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

It sounds to me like the Germans just cannot find the middle ground between being war mongers and pacifists.  You can just be sane you know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

QuoteFor many, that medal has come to symbolise the atrocities of the Third Reich.

Really? I thought mass graves and concentration camps did. Not medals for bravery in combat.

Once again, the people prove themselves to be idiots.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2009, 12:22:58 PM
It sounds to me like the Germans just cannot find the middle ground between being war mongers and pacifists.  You can just be sane you know.

Not Germans. See: banning violent videogames and swastikas, disliking nuclear power, thinking giving kids the vote is a swell idea etc etc etc. Plus Auschwitz.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Warspite on July 06, 2009, 12:24:19 PM
QuoteFor many, that medal has come to symbolise the atrocities of the Third Reich.

Really? I thought mass graves and concentration camps did. Not medals for bravery in combat.

True, but Iron Cross is about synonymous with swastika or SS runes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Not getting involved in wars is as ingrained in German psyche by now as not joining military alliances is in Austria's, or Sweden's.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Just call it the 'Pour le Merite'

Nothing in French can be Nazi-like.

Well except for the SS Charlemagne.

Warspite

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2009, 12:28:59 PM

Not getting involved in wars is as ingrained in German psyche by now as not joining military alliances is in Austria's, or Sweden's.

You fools.

Come with me; I'll show you where the Iron Cross grow.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA