News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2017, 11:58:34 AM
The Orioles are actually on a bit of a hotstreak. Good timing I have to say.

I just want to point out that since I posted this they have gone 2-12 :lol:

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 16, 2017, 10:53:12 AM
It's been over for a while, O's Boy.  You just refuse to acknowledge it.

That is the curse of the wild card. Even when your team is not very good they can hang in there for months.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

50 HRs for the rookie.
Good for him, nice kid.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Thank God the season is over. I think the O's felt the same way. They finished the season 4-19 and finished in last place.

Let us never speak of this horrible season again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2017, 03:34:08 PM
50 HRs for the rookie.
Good for him, nice kid.

I almost got to watch him play.  Still a little pissed about that  :glare:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Astros look really good.

The strength of the Red Sox is their bullpen, easily the best in the league, but I'm not sure that's going to matter. I could easily see the Astros hammering the starters and the Red Sox just not scoring enough runs to take advantage of the dominant bullpen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Astros offense actually underperformed expectations - i.e. they scored fewer runs than one would expect given the offensive performance of the players in the aggregate.

The real off the charts performance this years was from the Cleveland pitching staff.  Led the *MAJORS* in ERA, strikeouts, fewest BB, fewest HR allowed; pretty impressive playing in a DH league.  The staff K/W ratio was 3.98.  Second highest in the majors was 3.5, in the AL 3.4

Indians allowed 3.48 runs per game.  Second best AL team was the Yankees at 4.07.

That's historic levels of excellence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I'd like to see the Yankees advance to the ALCS or WS just to see Judge crank a few more.  But I'd also like to see the Indians get back to the WS. 

If the WS ends up being Cubs vs. Red Sox I may not even watch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I am hoping for Indians-Dodgers personally.

The Minsky Moment

As much as I hate to see it, the Red Sox are pretty well designed for the post-season.  The bullpen is pretty deep, especially with Price as an option, and the rotation is top heavy.  Offense is so-so overall but its a good blend of power and speed.  The Astros are a better team but they don't really have a clear stopper and their bullpen is just OK.  Cleveland is terrific but their strength - pitching depth up and down the rotation - is not as telling in a short series. 
--Joan Robinson

dps

I'm pulling for Houston in the AL.  In the NL, I'm not particularly pulling for anyone;  I just hope it's not the Dodgers or Nationals.  Especially not the Nationals.

derspiess

Fun game last night.  Eventful 1st inning (only got to listen to that part in the car), a smart pitching change by Girardi, some lead changes, and a nice dinger by Judge.  Hell, even his foul ball in the 8th was exciting.

Tonight I'll probably watch the NL Wild Card game even though I don't care much about either team.

The Minsky Moment

Judge was locked in last night - after the foul he had the 400 foot out to straight center. The HR didn't go that far but it got there really fast.  You want to get runs off that outfield, you got to keep it over their heads.

The first inning pull was as designed.  Yankees are going with the old KC plan of leveraging a deep bullpen in the playoffs to paper over inconsistencies in the rotation.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

That Altuve guy can hit a little.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

Well that was a nice playoff run while it lasted . . .

Francona deserves credit for rolling Bauer out and keeping Kluber to use in Game 2.

But what was he thinking batting Jason Kipnis in the 2 slot?  Guy with a .291 OBP right in front of Ramirez and EE.  Sure it didn't matter tonight but FFS.
--Joan Robinson