And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on October 31, 2019, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2019, 04:57:57 PM
That 2017 season sure took a long time to play out.

No fucking shit. 30 something spring training games, 162 regular season games interrupted by an all star break, followed by 4 rounds of playoffs.

But it wasn't any longer than any other baseball season.

Look at the title of the thread, then the date of the latest posts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

This Nats victory hurts. It is full of what could have been. ☹️
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2019, 08:09:03 PM

...if Montreal had DC's payroll.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 31, 2019, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2019, 03:35:05 PM

Listing that shit as a reason MLS is better than Baseball is laughable.

I'm not saying MLS is better than MLB. I hate MLS and wish it would leave Atlanta and never come back. And not like how the Braves left by just moving to the suburbs, but by totally disappearing from the face of the earth - sort of like how the Atlanta hockey team did by moving to Winnipeg.

Still a 34 game schedule is much easier to follow than a 162.

Well the baseball regular season is just kind of there whenever you need it. Which is what I like about it. Whenever you feel like watching a baseball game well there is always one on from April to November.

But the NBA and NHL are also ridiculously long with absurd numbers of games. At least the MLB playoffs are over in just one month.

The NFL is the only pro league that is notably short compared the MLB and that is just because if it was any longer all the players would be dead.

Anyway I am all for making changes to baseball but only to make it better for baseball fans. Stuff like the robot ump strike zone and stuff. But I think people just love the stats too much to shorten the regular season.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2019, 08:09:03 PM

Yeah sorry Montreal. Now you know how Quebec felt watching the Avalanche win.

Now that the Expos/Nats have appeared in the World Series only the long suffering Seattle Mariners have yet to win a league pennant....and let's just say they might have to wait a bit to win one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2019, 10:19:06 PM
The NFL is the only pro league that is notably short compared the MLB and that is just because if it was any longer all the players would be dead.

Yeah, they should really change it to an 18 week season with each team getting 2 byes.  The postseason is too frequently about whichever team has the least critical injuries.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The pitcher rule for number of batters or to the end of the inning is good for fans, I like it.

The roster rules are fine.

The rule about position players pitching sucks. I hate that one.

The Minsky Moment

The three batter rule needs another exception for 3 or more runs scoring.  Otherwise a guy who goes in and gets pounded has to just stay out there. 

I wonder what the combined effect of all the roster changes will be on pitcher injury rates.

I like the old expanded Sept rosters.  It gives young players a chance at ML experience; it gives fans of non-contenders a chance to view top prospects in action. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 21, 2020, 01:06:55 PM
The three batter rule needs another exception for 3 or more runs scoring.  Otherwise a guy who goes in and gets pounded has to just stay out there. 

The new rule is that a pitcher has to face 3 batters, not get 3 outs.  In theory, a pitcher could enter the game and walk 3 batters in a row, and then be replaced.  He wouldn't have given up a run, but would have faces 3 batters.

There's no way a pitcher can be charged with 3 runs allows without facing 3 batters.  Even if a reliever enters the game with the bases loaded and gives up a grand slam, he's only charged with 1 run allowed;  the 3 runs scored by the inherited runners would be charged to the pitcher who allowed them to reach base.

The Minsky Moment

Oh good point.  Never mind then.

Still want my sept 40 man
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson