If the Republicans decide Trump has to go....how will they go about it?

Started by Berkut, January 18, 2017, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2017, 01:46:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2017, 12:56:10 PM
You think the GOP won't lose seats in '18? That would go against very strong historical precedent.

It seems that most of the seats realistically in contention are held by Democrats.

Geography isn't good, but that usually doesn't matter as much in midterms as it does in presidential years.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-should-democrats-do-now/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2017, 03:42:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 02:35:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Please remember that Mike Pence is way worse than Trump.

I prefer Pence :)

Over Trump?  Absolutely.  People that have convinced themselves that Pence is worse than Trump are fooling themselves.  Pence can do damage.  Trump can destroy.

Trump has the mullas to tell the GOP leadership to fuck off on a seemingly endless possibilities of issues & do something else. Pence is one of them!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 19, 2017, 02:32:37 PM
Trump has the mullas to tell the GOP leadership to fuck off on a seemingly endless possibilities of issues & do something else. Pence is one of them!

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2017, 09:33:45 AM
2 They'd need a consitutional amendment. 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of the states.
Wasn't there a loophole some Republicans tried to invoke for GW Bush?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2017, 12:56:10 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 19, 2017, 12:22:54 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2017, 09:33:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 19, 2017, 06:35:42 AM
:lol:

Guys, let's be happy if the fully GOP-controlled House and Senate won't let him stay for a 3rd and 4th term.

1 He's 70 years old.
2 They'd need a consitutional amendment. 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of the states.

After 2018 they should be mostly, if not entirely, there.
You think the GOP won't lose seats in '18? That would go against very strong historical precedent.

1. Most of the Senate seats up are Democrat.
2. Dem voters don't turn out in midterms. And sure, they'll despise Trump, but more than enough will refuse to turn out and vote for D candidates because they're at odds on pet issues.
3. GOP controls Congress and the government, and recent history has shown they'll take full advantage of every dirty trick: voter ID, suppress minority turnout, "scandals", rumors and investigations of D candidates, etc.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

I don't think we'll have to worry much about any legislative silliness or procedural bullshit in the end--not when it comes out, well after a shitload of South Koreans/Taiwanese/Japanese/Poles/Brits/Germans/Americans are quite dead, that he was made fully aware of and warned against a real and existential threat long beforehand by the intelligence community he chooses to ignore in deference to his little Lyndon-LaRouche-conspiracy.ru circle of fruitcake goofballs.

DGuller

:o Pence is a mulla?  It's all starting to make sense.  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2017, 08:23:07 PM
I don't think we'll have to worry much about any legislative silliness or procedural bullshit in the end--not when it comes out, well after a shitload of South Koreans/Taiwanese/Japanese/Poles/Brits/Germans/Americans are quite dead, that he was made fully aware of and warned against a real and existential threat long beforehand by the intelligence community he chooses to ignore in deference to his little Lyndon-LaRouche-conspiracy.ru circle of fruitcake goofballs.

He's only "aware" of what Ivanka tells him he needs to be aware of.  If the intelligence community can get her to understand the threat, Trump's understanding is immaterial.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2017, 09:40:42 PM
He's only "aware" of what Ivanka tells him he needs to be aware of.  If the intelligence community can get her to understand the threat, Trump's understanding is immaterial.

All I'm saying is, if there's a major terrorist attack or international act of aggression that the White House was warned of well in advance, and Der Furor chose to do nothing because he and Lyndon LaFlynn refuse to believe it, he will be put out faster than you can say "Evildoers."

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2017, 02:43:59 PM

Yes. My writing is the issue.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 19, 2017, 07:00:07 PM

2. Dem voters don't turn out in midterms. And sure, they'll despise Trump, but more than enough will refuse to turn out and vote for D candidates because they're at odds on pet issues.

If there is one thing where the French are (still) superior it's this: they'll turn out and vote for a candidate not of their liking if it keeps out the worse option.

Drakken

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 20, 2017, 11:42:42 AM
If there is one thing where the French are (still) superior it's this: they'll turn out and vote for a candidate not of their liking if it keeps out the worse option.

But what worked for Jean-Marie in 2002, won't work with Marine this time in 2017.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on January 20, 2017, 01:06:22 PM

But what worked for Jean-Marie in 2002, won't work with Marine this time in 2017.

You don't think they would rally behind Fillon like they did Chiraq? Sure Fillon may be a bit Catholic in his social views but he is basically alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2017, 01:11:27 PM
You don't think they would rally behind Fillon like they did Chiraq? Sure Fillon may be a bit Catholic in his social views but he is basically alright.

No. The left hates Fillion, going so far to deem his program to be retrograde and of a 'violence unheard of in the recent history of France":

http://www.lemonde.fr/election-presidentielle-2017/article/2016/11/27/la-gauche-denonce-la-violence-inedite-du-programme-de-francois-fillon_5039048_4854003.html

And if Macron wins, the right will rather unite behind Le Pen than allow the left  a second mandate of doing-squat. Macron is an adventurer, a free electron in the mold of Trump. Marine has succeeded in "defascizing" the National Front and make it palable to the electorate, going so far as to kick her father out of the party. NF has now become a palatable Extreme-Right option for a good section of the French electorate and a contender to be reckoned with.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on January 20, 2017, 01:16:15 PM

No. The left hates Fillion, going so far to deem his program to be retrograde and of a 'violence unheard of in the recent history of France":

That Paris terrorist attack pales in comparison to the violence of a balanced budget!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."