If the Republicans decide Trump has to go....how will they go about it?

Started by Berkut, January 18, 2017, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think a very likely scenario is that the Powers That Be in the Republican Party will decide (if they have not done so already) that Trump has to go - the damage he can do is to great, both to the country and the party.

However, they control Congress, and given the possible means of getting rid of a President, that means THEY control his removal. THEY will have to impeach him, or THEY will have to having him removed for lack of ability to fulfill his duties (25th).

I suspect that the plan will be, or the plan is already, to make sure that the ground for his removal be something new. If he is impeached or removed based on information that already exists, then the blame for the entire disaster will be very hard to lay anywhere but with the Party that elected him.

So my suspicion will be that there will need to be some new information, new scandal that can be trotted out so Priebus and Pence can say "Well we supported him until we found out about THIS! Now he has to go...".

Ideally of course, this would be something the radical right wing media can then spin as being the fault of the Democrats. I know that seems ridiculous, but its not like they would have to convince the bulk of the people, just the people who think Obama is a secret Muslim, or that Clinton's email server is the worst corruption ever seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

It will happen this way. Trump may be walking. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring. And a car will slow beside him, and a door will open, and someone he knows, maybe even trusts, will get out of the car. And he will smile, a becoming smile. But he will leave open the door of the car and offer to give him a lift.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

If he's ousted by a Republican coup, it will confirm the beliefs of everyone who thinks that political elites will protect power for themselves and will not allow outsiders into important positions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2017, 09:47:20 AM
I think a very likely scenario is that the Powers That Be in the Republican Party will decide (if they have not done so already) that Trump has to go - the damage he can do is to great, both to the country and the party.

However, they control Congress, and given the possible means of getting rid of a President, that means THEY control his removal. THEY will have to impeach him, or THEY will have to having him removed for lack of ability to fulfill his duties (25th).

I suspect that the plan will be, or the plan is already, to make sure that the ground for his removal be something new. If he is impeached or removed based on information that already exists, then the blame for the entire disaster will be very hard to lay anywhere but with the Party that elected him.

So my suspicion will be that there will need to be some new information, new scandal that can be trotted out so Priebus and Pence can say "Well we supported him until we found out about THIS! Now he has to go...".

Ideally of course, this would be something the radical right wing media can then spin as being the fault of the Democrats. I know that seems ridiculous, but its not like they would have to convince the bulk of the people, just the people who think Obama is a secret Muslim, or that Clinton's email server is the worst corruption ever seen.

For impeachment, it would need to be about treason.  Otherwise, I'm not sure the Democrats of the Senate would really want to out him.  For the good of the country, it would be wise to evict him from the White House, but for the good of the party, it might be better to let him sink the Republican Party with him.

I have no idea of the process required by the 25th amendment though.

I guess it really depends on the pole.  Maybe they already have what they need to oust him and are only waiting for his approval ratings to sink further.  I'm not sure the Republican party as whole really cares about what's good for the country, so long as they have power.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 10:22:38 AM

For impeachment, it would need to be about treason.

Two Presidents have been impeached and in neither case was it for treason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Time line?

Do remember the republicans only have 2 years of supreme power.  After 2 years of Trump I don't rate their chances in the 2018 elections
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

I reckon if it happens it will be after at least a year of disastrous performance and scandals (combined with ramming through a significant part of the conservative agenda). I imagine it would be either sex related or traitor related (outside chance - massive corruption), but following a long set of stories about sex related, traitor related, or ideology related shortcomings.

But yeah, something will come come out and it will blow up in the media like never before - and out come the knives.

That said, I think it's more likely that the GOP establishment will try use scandals to keep Trump in line and amenable to their agenda rather than impeach him.

Berkut

True - they do have this window of opportunity they have not had in like...forever.

If they can manage Trump, they can get their most radical of ideas jammed through. Ideally, they will want to keep him around for at least a year or two so they can get their radical right authoritarian supreme court justice in, for example. Maybe more than one.

If they are clever, they can ride Trump just long enough to get critical parts of the Tea Party agenda, that only a small minority of Americans support, jammed through.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2017, 11:03:30 AM
True - they do have this window of opportunity they have not had in like...forever.

If they can manage Trump, they can get their most radical of ideas jammed through. Ideally, they will want to keep him around for at least a year or two so they can get their radical right authoritarian supreme court justice in, for example. Maybe more than one.

If they are clever, they can ride Trump just long enough to get critical parts of the Tea Party agenda, that only a small minority of Americans support, jammed through.

Imo that's the bargain Trump and the GOP struck a long time ago.

"Hey, the base loves me!! I'll re-energize the party! Back me up and I'll let you guys run the place how you like!"

Trump does love to say he's a deal maker. The best deal maker, making the best deals!!!

The trick is when either side will backstab the other. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2017, 11:03:30 AM

I don't think that the Tea party types will be the ones using or discarding Trump.  They aren't organized enough nor, frankly, bright enough.  It'll be the Ryans and McCarthys who will topple Trump.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I think something to do with improper dealings with his family and his business is most likely. I really don't see him towing the line on that.
The republicans can safely say that before he came to power they totally believed him when  he promised to follow the rules, divest himself of all his private interests, etc...
How to pin it on the dems though? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

frunk

I don't think Ryan is conniving enough, although he might be the one to pull the trigger if someone else sets it up.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 10:26:16 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 10:22:38 AM

For impeachment, it would need to be about treason.

Two Presidents have been impeached and in neither case was it for treason.
what I meant is, to rally everyone behind (well, 2/3 of the Senates and the public opinion).
I'm unconvinced that simply spying on the other camp, as Nixon did, would be an impeachable offense in today's political climate.  Many Republicans seemed to approve of the DNC hack.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2017, 10:02:17 AM
If he's ousted by a Republican coup, it will confirm the beliefs of everyone who thinks that political elites will protect power for themselves and will not allow outsiders into important positions.
a valuable lesson...