RIP Gene Cernan - The Last Man To Walk On The Moon

Started by mongers, January 16, 2017, 05:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This thread title should have never come to pass.

Gene Cernan, last man to walk on Moon, dies aged 82

Gene Cernan was the commander of the Apollo 17 mission in December 1972

US astronaut Gene Cernan - the last man to walk on the Moon - has died aged 82.

America's space agency Nasa said it was "saddened by the loss" of the retired spaceman.

Captain Cernan was one of only three people to go to the Moon twice and the last man to leave a footprint on the lunar surface in 1972.

The final words he spoke there were: "We leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return with peace and hope for all mankind."

He was the commander of the Apollo 17 mission at the time.

Apollo 17: Pictures, video, facts

Cernan had travelled into space twice before that - in 1966 and 1969.

A qualified naval aviator, he was selected into the third group of Nasa astronauts in 1963.

He retired in 1976, going into private business and contributing to US television channels on a variety of issues.

Cernan also produced a documentary film about his life, which he discussed at length in this BBC interview in 2014.

Cernan was born on 14 March 1934, in Chicago.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Whoa..I was just watching a documentary on the guy last night. I texted the friend I was watching it with that he died, and got the reply: "Do you think it was because we didn't finish the documentary?"

RIP Gene Cernan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Gups

Liep

RIP

if the EU still exists in 2024 we might get another moonwalker.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/gene-cernan-astronaut-obituary/513263/?utm_source=atlfb

Quote[...]

Cernan retired from the Navy and NASA in 1976. People never stopped asking him what it was like to stand on the moon and look back at humanity, and what it was like to be the last person to do it. He always said humankind would return to the moon someday, and had no doubt they would eventually visit Mars.

"Too many years have passed for me to still be the last man to have walked on the moon," Cernan wrote in his memoir in 2000. "Somewhere on Earth today is the young girl or boy, the possessor of indomitable will and courage, who will lift that dubious honor for me and take us back out there where we belong."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2017, 10:30:09 AM
"Somewhere on Earth today is the young girl or boy, the possessor of indomitable will and courage, who will lift that dubious honor for me and take us back out there where we belong."

Yeah, but my sister's not going to let her go anywhere until she finishes cleaning that disaster area of a room and brushes her teeth for bed.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2017, 07:59:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2017, 10:30:09 AM
"Somewhere on Earth today is the young girl or boy, the possessor of indomitable will and courage, who will lift that dubious honor for me and take us back out there where we belong."

Yeah, but my sister's not going to let her go anywhere until she finishes cleaning that disaster area of a room and brushes her teeth for bed.

:D

And sadly true, if you're niece is 10 years old, say most astronauts are mid-30s plus before they go into space, what's that another 25 years before we return to the moon?

Though just to brighten your day, I think the Chinese will be there well before 2040.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"