And we're back!

Main Menu

Oh, the heady, carefree days of college

Started by CountDeMoney, January 05, 2017, 07:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:16:20 PM
California can't decide its own immigration policy

That's not entirely true. For example Safe Haven cities.

Delirium

One important issue that rarely gets discussed is how representative various pc crusader organizations are for their respective minority/special interest group. I have no idea how many members you need to have to qualify as an "official" college club. If the 64 organizations have five members each on average at a 20,000 student college then, well, it's a Shakespeare play. It seems media attention is often focused on organized pc craziness...10,000 people in the streets with no organization behind them? Ignored.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 02:32:40 PM
What's stupid is that you have somebody living 10+ years illegally, in some weird limbo. You can go full right wing and deport him, or go liberal and give a path to residence. Just do *something*.

I agree with you, but the Republican Party of the US does not.  By doing nothing, they contributed to the sense of crisis, and hoped that the public would blame the Democrats for the unwillingness of Congress to fulfill its sworn duties, rather than the Republicans who actually were willing to fuck over the country.  And it worked.  part of the reason so many morons voted for trump was because they saw an entirely fictional "immigration crisis' that could only be resolved by a fuhrer with the willpower to do the unpalatable.

Hell, you can see here how willfully ignorant the Trump voters were.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Delirium on January 05, 2017, 02:46:49 PM
One important issue that rarely gets discussed is how representative various pc crusader organizations are for their respective minority/special interest group. I have no idea how many members you need to have to qualify as an "official" college club. If the 64 organizations have five members each on average at a 20,000 student college then, well, it's a Shakespeare play. It seems media attention is often focused on organized pc craziness...10,000 people in the streets with no organization behind them? Ignored.

That's the nature of news, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Yup. But people like hearing about the terrible/ evil/ stupid/ ridiculous/ coddled/ foolish PC students so that's what gets reported and shared. Kids these days.

Valmy

One important issue that rarely gets discussed is how representative various pc crusader organizations are for their respective minority/special interest group.

Because you cannot get people upset about how our society is being destroyed and how terrible kids today are if you mention how few people this actually involves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2017, 02:46:33 PM

I guess so but much in the same way as legalizing weed (or even just medical marijuana), they are in danger of feds overruling them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 03:12:42 PM

I guess so but much in the same way as legalizing weed (or even just medical marijuana), they are in danger of feds overruling them.

Yeah, do the liberals who want Safe Havens and the like really want to take John C. Calhoun's position on the issue of federal vs state powers?

Valmy

Quote from: dps on January 05, 2017, 08:25:58 PM
Yeah, do the liberals who want Safe Havens and the like really want to take John C. Calhoun's position on the issue of federal vs state powers?

Everybody likes John C. Calhoun's position when DC is on the other side of an issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Turn illegals into Helots. PROBLEM SOLVED
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 05, 2017, 08:25:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 03:12:42 PM

I think sanctuary cities were setup by local ordinances aka decision on local laws/local law enforcement so not really about states' rights.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.