News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oh, the heady, carefree days of college

Started by CountDeMoney, January 05, 2017, 07:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2017, 12:11:49 PM
What the kind of fucked up system you have over there? How can somebody without a legal permit to be in the country apply and go to college/uni? What is the point of visas then, to begin with? Apart from creating an underclass of servants that will fix your roof for pennies, that is.

That's how the US works.

Hell, iirc, in California you can get a drivers license even if you are not in the country legally.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2017, 12:20:21 PM
This is the kind of ridiculousness that has come to define "the left", and it is incredibly damaging.

At least they rarely come into political power. Unlike the ridiculousness of the Right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2017, 12:20:21 PM
This is the kind of ridiculousness that has come to define "the left", and it is incredibly damaging.

Of course it is, which is why it's getting so much play.

derspiess

What the kind of fucked up system you have over there? How can somebody without a legal permit to be in the country apply and go to college/uni?

Careful now-- that sounds like rightwing reactionary Trumpspeak.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 05, 2017, 01:29:18 PM
What the kind of fucked up system you have over there? How can somebody without a legal permit to be in the country apply and go to college/uni?

Careful now-- that sounds like rightwing reactionary Trumpspeak.

Huh? It is the rightwing reactionaries who constantly block every effort to reform the fucked up system.

Poor Dubya. He tried.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

I don't think rightwing reactionaries are making any efforts to ensure universities continue to admit illegal immigrants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 05, 2017, 01:44:17 PM
I don't think rightwing reactionaries are making any efforts to ensure universities continue to admit illegal immigrants.

No, but they're the ones who insist that illegal immigrants remain illegal immigrants.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 05, 2017, 01:44:17 PM

Well they have had plenty of time when they have controlled the government to pass a Federal requirement for it. If they wanted to. But they don't. They block any and every attempt to make the immigration business make sense.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2017, 09:31:37 AM
What is an undocumented student?

Someone in the United States without legal documentation to be here, ie a student Visa.

That's a bit of obfuscation though surely? Typically that term has been deployed by the left as the PC version of illegal alien.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 05, 2017, 12:39:36 PM
What the kind of fucked up system you have over there? How can somebody without a legal permit to be in the country apply and go to college/uni? What is the point of visas then, to begin with? Apart from creating an underclass of servants that will fix your roof for pennies, that is.

That's how the US works.

Hell, iirc, in California you can get a drivers license even if you are not in the country legally.

It is called bowing to realism. California can't decide its own immigration policy but it can decide not to treat those who did not legally migrate like dirt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2017, 09:31:37 AM
What is an undocumented student?

Someone in the United States without legal documentation to be here, ie a student Visa.

That's a bit of obfuscation though surely? Typically that term has been deployed by the left as the PC version of illegal alien.

A student visa is "documentation."  Undocumented students are illegal aliens, and the ones I've seen stuff about tend to have lived here a long time (there was a big uproar not too long ago about one posting on Facebook/Twitter/whatever about being accepted to UT and illegal, although IIRC her family had lived here since she was a baby).

celedhring

What's stupid is that you have somebody living 10+ years illegally, in some weird limbo. You can go full right wing and deport him, or go liberal and give a path to residence. Just do *something*.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 02:32:40 PM
What's stupid is that you have somebody living 10+ years illegally, in some weird limbo. You can go full right wing and deport him, or go liberal and give a path to residence. Just do *something*.

Well we just picked Trump.

grumbler

Because many people are brought to the US as infants or children, and unlike in your People's Paradise, they still have to make a living and get on with their lives.  If they graduate from US high schools and can show they came to the US as children (based on attendance in primary schools), then they are allowed to attend some of the colleges.

What kind of a fucked up person are you that you want to punish college-aged kids for the crimes of their parents?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:14:58 PM

Are you saying the University of Maryland All Victims' Committee used a PC term?? :o