News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
but from what I understand people with pre-existing conditions get thrown under the bus as there's insufficient funding for the risk pools.

Are you just taking Pelosi's word for it? :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2017, 04:55:48 PM
but from what I understand people with pre-existing conditions get thrown under the bus as there's insufficient funding for the risk pools.

lol, stupid cunt :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2017, 04:55:48 PMAre you just taking Pelosi's word for it? :lol:

No. From the link I posted:

QuoteStates would also be able to allow insurers to charge sick people more, potentially making coverage unaffordable for some.

Are you contending that people with pre-existing conditions are not going to be thrown over the bus, or is this just a "it's something Pelosi said, so it must categorically be false" troll?

CountDeMoney

Fuck 'em,  Jake.  Should've been born in another state.  And wealthy.

Jacob

Looks like rape may be on the table as another pre-existing condition that can justify denial of coverage or higher premiums: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/04/health/pre-existing-condition-rape-domestic-violence-insurance/

QuoteTurner was a health insurance agent who asked insurance underwriters she worked with whether rape survivors would get coverage. She said the underwriters told her no. Medical treatment associated with rape made the person too high a risk.

The Affordable Care Act changed that. And it ensured that tests for HIV and sexually transmitted diseases, plus domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling, would be completely covered by insurance companies.
That may not be the case in the future. Under the current bill, states could seek waivers that would let insurers sell plans that don't include all the essential health benefits mandated by the ACA.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2017, 06:22:35 PM
Looks like rape may be on the table as another pre-existing condition that can justify denial of coverage or higher premiums: http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/04/health/pre-existing-condition-rape-domestic-violence-insurance/

QuoteTurner was a health insurance agent who asked insurance underwriters she worked with whether rape survivors would get coverage. She said the underwriters told her no. Medical treatment associated with rape made the person too high a risk.

The Affordable Care Act changed that. And it ensured that tests for HIV and sexually transmitted diseases, plus domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling, would be completely covered by insurance companies.
That may not be the case in the future. Under the current bill, states could seek waivers that would let insurers sell plans that don't include all the essential health benefits mandated by the ACA.

:blink:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2017, 04:55:48 PM

Are you privy to some magic source of funding the rest of us have never heard of?  Does Trump have some leprechauns stashed away with pots of health care gold to save the day?

I really really want to believe that GOPtards are just folks with different philosophical ideas and not a pack of vindictive cretins, but these kind of comments don't really help.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 04, 2017, 06:57:35 PM
I really really want to believe that GOPtards are just folks with different philosophical ideas and not a pack of vindictive cretins, but these kind of comments don't really help.

They're only vindictive cretins when niggers and cunts are involved.  Duh.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2017, 07:06:07 PM

... and insufficiently wealthy white people. Some of them are going to get hit by this too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2017, 07:12:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2017, 07:06:07 PM

... and insufficiently wealthy white people. Some of them are going to get hit by this too.

That's their base, man; they don't count.  Do you not remember the election?  These people are willing to die and get rid of their own healthcare, if it means undeserving niggers and cunts don't get all that free mad dope cash they have not earned.

The psychology of punishment is key to why people vote against their own interests

The Minsky Moment

Kind of hoping the tax cut goes through.  So I can dedicate a piece of it to the next Democrat that runs in NJ-3.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

That's not your home district, is it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Hell no that's Eagles country. 
--Joan Robinson