News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Jacob

... seems the bill passed the House of Representatives.

Barrister

Apparently it passed extremely narrowly: 217-213.  If just two more Republicans would have voted No it would not have passed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2017, 02:07:44 PM
Apparently it passed extremely narrowly: 217-213.  If just two more Republicans would have voted No it would not have passed.

I believe several of the GOP "no" votes were on record as saying they'd vote "yes" if it was necessary to pass the bill, so narrow doesn't mean much.

CountDeMoney

The really ugly part is coming up:  because the only thing more angry than a losing Trump is a victorious one.  The mean-spirited what-can-I-attack-now preening is going to be insufferable.

Grinning_Colossus

They probably will get rid of the Senate filibuster to push this through, won't they?  :lol:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 04, 2017, 02:54:53 PM
They probably will get rid of the Senate filibuster to push this through, won't they?  :lol:

Oh hells yeah

derspiess

Nah, just pass it through reconciliation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

In any case, congratulations to Spicy. My you find joy in your victory as more Americans die from lack of medical care :cheers:

Barrister

Bill hasn't passed yet.  Only 52 Senators, can only  afford to lose 2.  Any many GOP senators are not exactly enamored with Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Are they just repealing Obamacare or is there a replacement?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
Are they just repealing Obamacare or is there a replacement?

They're replacing it, but from what I understand people with pre-existing conditions get thrown under the bus as there's insufficient funding for the risk pools.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
They're replacing it, but from what I understand people with pre-existing conditions get thrown under the bus as there's insufficient funding for the risk pools.

That makes it sound like they're killing the mandate too.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2017, 04:48:21 PM

Here's a comparison: http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-obamacare-repeal/

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2017, 04:48:21 PM

Quote from: from the link I postedThe tax penalty for not having health insurance would be dropped. But consumers would face a different sort of penalty: Anyone who goes without insurance for more than two months would face a 30% premium surcharge when they try to buy a new plan